F i v e

He's kinda my size

Calum didn't want to go to the mandatory meeting on classes. He already knew everything. The Maori was the one person who actually bothered to study the handbook that they give out two weeks before camp starts. He has every line memorized. So, he broke the rules for once and chose to rot inside of his cabin, while everyone else went. A part of him was beginning to regret it, but he needed to forget about some things for a while. Specifically Michael, who was running a hundred miles per hour inside of his head. He just couldn't seem to get the lad out of it.

Calum was alone, that he knew, and when he was caught up in his feelings and ignoring the rest of the world, he could do anything he wanted. Which is exactly why he grabbed his guitar out of the corner and began strumming a couple of chords from a song that was a favorite of his, because he knew nobody was listening. He knew that the meeting was going to last them a while, and the campers wouldn't be back for at least another half an hour.

He started singing. His voice was soft, and angelic, but he didn't mind it much. Calum was alone, and that's all that mattered. "I wanna be drunk when I wake up on the right side of the wrong bed, and every excuse I made up, tell you the truth I hate what didn't kill me, it never made me stronger at all," sang Calum, top of his lungs, and for some reason, he still couldn't stop thinking about Michael and how being drunk would probably be better than being into him. The atmosphere was quiet, so it was obvious that he was still in the clear. So he continued to sing as if he was the only one that lived in this world, and it felt good. It felt good being himself. Once the Maori got to the chorus, he grew more and more confident with his voice.

"But our house gets cold when you cut the heating, without you to hold I'll be freezing, can't rely on my heart to beat it, cause you take part of it every evening, take words out of my mouth just from breathing, replace with phrases like when you're leaving me. Should I, should I? Maybe I'll get drunk again, I'll be drunk again, I'll be drunk again to feel a little love."

And then the door opened, and Calum panicked and threw his guitar on the floor. Then he really started to panic because he thought he broke the expensive instrument, but it was thankfully okay and only had a tiny scratch on the side. Of course it had to be Michael, of course he had to make a fool of himself again in front of Michael.

"Whoa, did I do that?"

Calum didn't answer. Mainly, he couldn't, he didn't know how to. Talking to Michael was like talking to the president of the United States. Difficult. But to Michael, talking to Calum was like talking to a brick wall. Impossible. "Can I help you pick that up? I feel like that was partly my fault."

It was. Michael kneeled down and placed his hand underneath the guitar to pick it up, but Calum just hit it and shook his head. It was his, he didn't want anybody touching it. "Sorry, I was just trying to help."

"I - I don't want your help, okay?"

Calum wasn't trying to be mean, he just didn't know to act in a situation like this. All he's doing is embarrassing himself more and more by the second. "Sorry. Sorry." Michael apologized twice, and he held his head down as though he was ashamed, and it made Calum feel bad. "N-No, I'm sorry, I'm an idiot. I shouldn't have yelled at you, it was rude of me. I - I'm really sorry."

"It's fine," Michael smiled. At least he was getting something out of the brown eyed boy. "You have a really beautiful voice."

With Michaels choice of words, Calum couldn't stop blushing. Both from embarrassment and the fact that he has a crush on the lad standing in front of him. Michael just said his voice is beautiful, that has to mean something, right? "O - Oh thanks, I didn't think anyone heard m-me."