Part 2

The carriage clatters across the cobblestones, and I hang on to a leather strap to keep from toppling into the wall. Outside, the scenery is a dark blur that rushes past the window. Inside, my heart beats as if it's trying to keep pace with the horses.

All day, I feared changing back into my beastly form, but it never happened. The moonstone around my neck continues to glow, keeping the curse at bay. I wonder how long it will last, and if the memories I make tonight will be enough for a lifetime.

At least I'll remember the dress. Borrowed from one of the ribbon dancers, the filmy fabric froths around my ankles. Silver slippers encase my feet and my pale skin shimmers from a light dusting of metallic powder all the performers use. Tonight, I'm one of them, playing the part of another.

The palace comes into view and my breath catches in my throat. Carriages line the long drive and guests in elegant finery descend upon the marble staircase leading to the entrance. Music spills into the night, testing the boundaries of its existence before fading away.

I exit the carriage, accepting the gloved hand of a stranger. He leads me to the staircase and then vanishes among the throng of people. On wobbly legs, I climb to the top of the landing and step into line.

A woman in front of me covered in strategically placed feathers gasps and covers her mouth with a slender hand. She leans toward her companion and whispers, "You saw the beast last night? Was it horrid? They say it killed one hundred men before it was captured."

Her companion nods solemnly. "Matted fur, caked with blood. Teeth as long as your fingers. It sharpens its claws against the iron bars and waits for people to get close."

The woman shudders. "How dreadful. Thankfully, the carnival leaves tomorrow. What if it escaped?"

The man's answer is cut off as they reach the front of the line and are introduced to the mass of dancing guests below. I clutch the moonstone around my neck and gaze at the people. Fear seizes my limbs. The dancers morph into bloody corpses. Moans of terror drown out the music, and I see me, as I truly am, in the thick of it, covered in blood.

"Your name, Miss?"

A throat clears. The gruesome scene vanishes.

"Cinder, Cinder Valentine," I choke out.

The footman bellows my name and ushers me forward. I walk, heart in my throat, a beast among lambs. But, no one screams. They don't run. The room stills and a hush falls.

At the bottom of the staircase stands the prince. His palm hovers in the air, waiting in breathless invitation. I look over my shoulder to see the beauty behind me, but I'm alone. Nervous electricity skitters across my skin.

"Will you dance with me, Cinder?" His voice is smooth like molten chocolate.

I take his hand and we dance.

*****

An hour goes by, maybe two. My feet are sore from dancing and my cheeks ache from smiling. Any lingering fear has floated away, all that remains is awe. Awe of this moment, and awe of this man.

He twirls me toward the glass doors leading out onto the courtyard. Moonlight touches the ground with silver fingers. The orchestra fades and even the insects are loath to intrude on this instance.

"Where do you live?" he asks, leading me to a marble bench.

I hesitate, afraid of the truth. "With family."

He laughs. "I mean, where do you live in the kingdom?"

"I travel a lot."

"So, do I." He smiles, enjoying my vague answers. "Do you like traveling?"

"I get to see lots of different people."

"And what do those people think of you, Cinder?"

His question startles me. A hundred descriptions float through my head. Fearsome. Grotesque. Murderous. Unnerving.

"I suppose people find me entertaining."

His hand caresses my cheek. I nearly fall over from nerves.

"I find you a lot more than entertaining. I find you captivating." His lips inch toward mine and I can feel his warm breath on my skin. I close my eyes, reveling in his scent. We kiss as the clock strikes midnight.

On the final bell, pleasure turns to pain. Agony tears through my limbs and I double over, clutching my stomach. Squinting through the tears, I reach for the moonstone. The pendant is cold and dark.

The prince reaches for me and I swat him away, horrified by what's to come.

"You need to leave!" I screech and stagger away from the bench. My fingernails crack and long claws protrude from my thickening hands. Dark hair grows along my arm over my body. The fabric of my dress rips at the seams.

Still stunned by my transformation, the prince tries to help, gathering me in his arms. My claws rake across his skin, slicing, and leaving trails of oozing blood.

I push him away before he can see me as I am, and dart into the bushes. Long branches snag the shreds of fabric still clinging to my form.

"Wait!" he yells, but I don't stop. I run as fast as I can, creating a trail of his blood in the leaves.

The castle fades into the distance and the urge to hunt takes over erasing the realization of what I'd done.