Chapter Thirty-Two

Start from the beginning

“No, we’ll discuss it later.” I started walking to my room. 

As I had expected, she followed me. “Soph, tell me!” 

I just rolled my eyes and ignored her. I couldn’t tell her the plan just yet. I wanted to go through with the first plan first. 

***

It turned out the day Christian and Cassandra were going to be featured on the John Stavros Show was the following day. Their “romance” was such hot news that everyone wanted to know what was going on, apparently. 

When I told Tori I was going to the set of the show, she didn’t suspect anything was going to go awry at first. She thought I was just going to sit in the audience or something and make sure he didn’t do or say anything that would anger me. 

I wasn’t sure why she assumed that, knowing my personality fully well, but it didn’t matter. It made my life a little easier, seeing as I didn’t have to deal with her incessant nosiness. 

When I arrived at the set, they actually let me in. Being a celebrity had its perks. People let you attend things like this without question. They probably didn’t know why I was there, but I was sure they were hoping I was going to cause a scandal. They knew the whole thing with Cassandra, Christian and me was sketchy. Christian had basically publicly proclaimed his love for me, after all, and now he was supposedly dating Cassandra?

How scandalous. 

At first, I didn’t do anything. I just sat and watched since Christian and Cassandra weren’t out yet. When they came out, I tuned in and paid close attention. I had to time this well.

“Everybody, here’s Christian Ryder and Cassandra Lovett!”

Everyone clapped wildly and cheered, shouting out nonsense. 

Christian and Cassandra sat down on the couch by John Stavros’s desk. Christian made sure to sit apart from Cassandra, I noticed, and she made sure to scoot closer to him. 

“Hi, John,” she chirped happily. “Thanks for havin’ us!”

“The pleasure is all mine,” John said with a smile. “Now, tell me, how did this happen? I’m sure everyone is dying to know.”

“Well, Chris and I have always been kinda involved. Even when we’re broken up, we’re still thinkin’ about each other and talkin’ and missin’ how things used to be. One day, Chris calls me and says that we should talk, so I met up with him at a small restaurant. We just started talkin’ and one thing led to another and before we knew it, we were back together! Chris is just the sweetest.” 

Cassandra prattled on a bit more about this “relationship” of hers with Christian until John Stavros stopped her, asking Christian, “You’re being awfully quiet today. Don’t have anything to add?” 

Christian looked pained. I had told him to not say anything. I hadn’t explained myself fully, but I had told him enough to make him feel troubled. “Um.”

“He’s so shy sometimes, I just find it funny,” Cassandra said, squeezing Christian’s shoulder.

I swear, she found every possible excuse to touch him. It was making me mad, and I wasn’t going to stand there and wait any longer. 

“Come on, Chris. Tell him about us.” 

This was where I finally lost my patience and butted in. The crewmen were surprised when I just walked out there, but when they saw who I was, they didn’t say anything. “There’s not much to tell. Is there, Chrissy?”