Chapter Twenty-Six

Better Than Revenge 

Chapter 26 

As I had expected, Christian kept bothering me with presents. Flowers, chocolates, movies, CD’s, books, clothes, you name it. 

It was kind of getting on my nerves. He was so materialistic. He didn’t realize that this couldn’t be resolved with objects. I supposed I couldn’t really blame him, though. He was a rich and famous actor. This was how he settled things. This was the way he lived. In his world, everything and everyone could be bought. 

Eventually, though, he’d realize that my forgiveness and my affections couldn’t be bought. It’d take a lot more than just sweet gifts to crack me. 

I had to admit, though, some of the gifts he gave me were definitely heart-melting. Garfield was the biggest example. He was just the cutest thing ever. I was obsessed with him, as was Tori. I brought him everywhere, refusing to leave him at home when neither Tori nor I was home. He was my little baby. 

After a few more days of the shower of gifts, I told Christian that I needed time. I was still sore on the subject and I just needed some time to get over it. He seemed to have understood. 

And he gave me time, yeah.

One week, to be exact. He clearly wasn't very patient. 

And then, he went absolutely crazy. That was the only explanation I had. He had to have gone insane. There was no other way to describe it. What he was doing was just so… un-Christian-like that I had to keep pinching myself to make sure it was real. 

First, he did something that I had been secretly waiting for—not in the sense that I longed for it, but in the sense that I needed it to let go of what had happened—he apologized. 

And it wasn’t some lame, short and emotionless apology. It was deep. It was… well, it was real. 

I didn’t think I would ever forget the moment I realized Christian Ryder… the emotionless Christian Ryder that I had grown to hate… had a heart. 

I was hanging out with Tori in my trailer on set when I heard a knock on the door. Tori immediately sprung up, nearly tripping over Garfield, who was sprawled on the floor taking a nap. She always did this when she was on set. Seeing the actors from the movie still excited her just as much as it had the first day she came on set. 

“I’ll get it,” she sang excitedly. I heard her quietly squeak as she opened the door, making me look up.

It was Christian, of course. 

“I need to talk to Sophia,” he said simply. 

Tori nodded in understanding. “Alone. Right?”

He just nodded in reply. 

“Got it.” She clicked her tongue and walked over to Garfield. “Just gonna talk this little guy so you don’t almost trip over him like I did…” 

Garfield meowed in protest since she must have woken him up and with a wink directed towards me, Tori left.

What was that? Since when was she Christian’s advocate? She was in love with the guy! Why was she winking at me? 

This was so weird. 

Christian cleared his throat noisily and I rolled my eyes. “Yes?” I asked, standing up and walking towards him. 

He met me halfway and we stopped when we were close enough. He let out a loud breath. “Alright, now don’t kill me. I’m not good at this.”