Part Sixty-One Gamma: Greg Concludes His Business at the Bank

Start from the beginning

Greg decided he would not wait for the manager to act and would check for himself and through Bill Elbury. The expansive smile Greg gave Courtley gave no indication of his increasing doubts of the manager becoming a useful ally to him in his ventures.

"Thank you Bill, that’s appreciated. I was saying I plan doing trades to bring in cash to fund various projects and one of the things what I want to do today is build a funding plan for next year’s outgoings.”  

Courtley nodded as he sat poised to take notes. Greg drank his coffee and continued. “Apart from covering my own expenses I intend it to act as creditor for Jess White’s schooling, now that Colonel Stuart has passed away, and endow it out of earnings by trading Ghost Enterprises through a branch it will open here in Bamptonville.”

Courtley made clucking noises and shook his head. “Bad business and so sudden, Everybody thought Hiram Stuart would last forever…”

“Yes, yes, bad business..” Greg interrupted impatiently, “ I want this fund to be extensive enough to cover the boy going on to College afterwards.”

“Excuse me interrupting Greg, you have this all well mapped out  in your head but, … but have you talked this over with his family? I mean I happen to know that Art White expects Jess to help him work the farm when he’s done finished at school.”

“ Damn stupid nonsense” Greg’s violent outburst and heavy handed slapping of the chair’s arms startled Courtley, who looked on open jawed. 

“I am sorry Bill, please excuse me, but I have heard this so many times before and it angers me. Listen. I have done one deal with Jess already and I know from the way the boy conducted the sales interview that he has a talent for trading and with my teaching, will be able to make a good future for himself. Now, if he wants to grow hay and melons with his Pa that’s one thing, but if he wants to branch out into the world of commerce, where he could have a good future, then that’s what he should be doing. And I happen to know he could easily be earning fifty bucks an hour salary plus commissions, and from that he could be funding the six bucks an hour for the general labour his father needs to help him run the farm .… Uggh! It makes me so mad.”

“Calm down Greg, you’re with a friend here, but what you just said to me, pardon me for saying so, but it seems to me like it would be better said to young Jess's  father. You didn’t answer my question. Does his father know what you have in mind for his son and… have you even met him yet?”

Greg wrung his hands together and gritted his teeth.

“Not yet, on both your questions, but it’s on my ‘ToDo’ list for next week and I do happen to know Jess wants to do trading and not farm work,” Greg slapped the arms of the chair again for emphasis. Courtley said nothing, busying himself writing notes on his pad.

When Courtley next spoke he did so dispassionately, like a doctor to a patient.

“I see; now to change the subject slightly, you said something about starting others into work?”

“That’s right. Like I was saying when we began, I have this notion to give a bunch of out-of-work building tradesmen the courage and wherewithal to get off their butts and get themselves moving again, to make a go of it on their own; in business for themselves.”

Courtley raised a finger to ask a question.

“Let me clarify once more. You don’t mean to employ these people?”

“No, they have to work for themselves. I will provide them with limited funding to get started, along with marketing and management expertise plus essential back-office services.”