Chapter Thirteen: I'm not brOKen

Start from the beginning

It had been that way ever since the night he found the dead body in the alley way. Apparently Mikhail had given him his number and they've been texting and calling each other non-stop. It was both sickening and kind of nice. He appreciated that Nico had a sort of escape from his cruel reality. Nico and Mikhail both lived completely different lives. Max had half the mind to slap some sense into Nico. He wanted to tell him that his relationship with Mikhail would be a dead end for the both of them but he had no right. If his best friend was happy with Mikhail then he wouldn't interfere much.

"He wouldn't admit?" Sera asked curiously. "You think he really did it then?"

Nico looked up from his phone and stared stone hard at her, "Obviously. I wouldn't have killed the man otherwise."

Max sighed softly seeing as Nico was in a bad mood again. He always got that way after having to kill someone. Nico didn't like to kill but he knew where his responsibilities lied and would do what had to be done. Max felt like maybe Nico had become accustomed to seeing so many dead bodies but there was no way anybody could. It was a haunting image to stare at a lifeless body in the eyes. The guilt eventually ate up people, or so he thought. Nico only ever got a little irritated after a killing and then he seemed to get over it. Max figured it was his way of coping.

"You sure got a lot of texts. Is it Mikhail?" Max said changing the topic of conversation as they walked away from the room where countless people have lost their lives. They headed to the kitchen so Nico could have breakfast. Max and Sera already ate when Nico was preoccupied so they just kept him company.

"Yeah. His birthday is tomorrow and I'm not sure what I should get him. I was thinking maybe a new phone?" He said as he leaned on the countertop. "He still has a very outdated flip phone you know?" He laughed softly to himself and shook his head, "I know he won't accept it though. Maybe just a nice dinner with only us two?"

Sera scoffed and said, "On a holiday? Everything's going to be closed and won't Mikhail want to spend Christmas-Eve with this father?"

"His father is a good-for-nothing. He'd be better off spending time with me."

"A bit selfish, don't you think?" Max asked cautiously keeping his distance. "I don't think he'd appreciate you saying that about his father... Just saying."

Nico clicked his tongue and shot Max a look that said his input wasn't welcomed, "What's the matter with wanting him to myself?" He asked.

Sera looked at Max with a small smirk. He returned it with a small shrug. Nico was already investing his time in money on Mikhail so he figured Nico was already in too deep. He just wished it would work out between them two. A worker brought out Nico's food and he ate without taking a seat. "You in a hurry to go somewhere?" Max questioned.

"Mmhmm." He said with his mouth full. "Some meetings about the dead body in the alleyway. The autopsy is almost done so hopefully we get some information about the death. We're going to see if we can link John Doe with another family."

Max nodded in understanding. Sera nor him were allowed to go with him because a lot of higher ups were going to be there and they could potentially anger the wrong person if they said or did anything. Not that he particularly wanted to go but he did think Nico would be safer if he went. For being sixteen, Max was among the best fighters. Though, he was looked down upon for being a 'Street Rat'. There were a few people among the family that didn't trust him because he was front the streets. He didn't have a record of birth to their knowledge. They didn't even know that he had an uncle and a sister. Hell, not even Nico knew that much.