Chapter 13

Rosalinda's POV

The Volturi has been doing everything in their power in order to keep us all safe. It still seems to takes me aback every time they they say that they will protect me.

People have never really said that to me before I came here.

Alec is amazing, though. With him, I know that he will always be by my side. I remember the days when I was filled with doubt because I never really knew when he was telling the truth. 

But now I can just tell.

He really means it.

"Rosalinda!"

I look up and see Jane standing across the room, snapping at me in a very irritated voice.

"...I'm sorry..", I mutter,"What was I supposed to do."

She just rolls her eyes,"I swear, Rosalinda. If you don't get your act together, they will tear you to shreads in half a second."

I flinched,"It's always nice to hear your encouragment, Jane."

He smuggly smiles,"Yeah, yeah. But stop being so distracted. We're all in danger now, and you still don't have enough training. You weren't even able to kill him in the forest."

"I panicked.", I say, sheepishly,"I just need more practice."

She softens her look just a little and only for half a second before she puts her game-face back on,"Damn right, you do. The others will be here really soon to help you. You need all the practice you can get. We need you to be at least half as strong as everyone else."

"Alright, alright.", I finally say,"I got it. Let's begin, shall we?"

Suddenly, a small bolt of electicity-like pain shoots up my spine. Not so much that it's unbearable. But enough to almost incapacitate me.

"C'mon, Rosalinda!", I can barely hear Janes shouts,"Just like we practiced. Use your power!"

The pain is becoming more and more sharp as each second moves on. I can't hear anything anymore.

I don't even know if I'm screaming.

I force my eyes to open and to turn my head just enough to have Jane in my vision.

It takes every ounce of strengh in me to use my power just enough to allow her to lift her power and to have just momentary comfusion.

For half a second, she looks at me as if she doesn't even know who I am.

But it passes and she puts on a small smile,"Good job. Again?"

I want desperately to say no, but I know that I have to push myself through this pain or else I'll be dealing with much worse very, very soon.

I weakly nod.

There's a small second that passes, and the small stabbing sensation goes from my feets, to my calves, to my thighs. 

But this time it's unbearable. 

She's doing something different now.

She's putting so much power, but only on certain parts of my body.

Each second that passes, she's going to be adding onto her power to let me feel that burning sensation until every single nerve in my body is on fire.

My knees buckle and this time I can hear my scream.

I have to use my hands to lift my head up this time and use so much force of my power that she immediately begins to look around. So confused. Like a lost child looking for her parents.

I retract my power.

This time her smile is a bit bigger,"You're getting the hang of this. Good job."

I return her smile. 

Jane very rarely compliments me, so whenever she does, I take it graciously.

The doors open and the others begin to file into the door: Felix, Demetri and Alec.

"How's she doing?", Alec's voice fills the entire room in an echo.

"Getting better every time.", Jane turns to look at her brother,"We just need to keep working her."

"Before we continue.", I'm on my knees, gasping for breath,"I have a question."

They all look at me expectantly.

"Has anything like this happened before?", I ask.

"Yes.", Alec replies succinctly,"Many times. But we've always been able to fight them off."

"But was there...", I begin,"Was there every a time when you almost lost?"

Alec comes over to me and helps me get up,"Yes. By the Romanian Coven."

"How did you beat them?", I ask, wearily.

"Well.", he says, looking me deeply into my eyes,"It's never easy. But we have such an array of power, we end up defeating them."

Alec narrows his eyes as my eyes widen.

I don't say anything.

Oh my god.

They can all sense this and they turn around.

Jeremy looks only at me, with a sick, sadistic smile. There are about 5 others surrouning him.

They're here.

And even though I'm not ready. It's time for me to take a risk.