Chapter 35: To Stand Firm

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry Camila." Ally shook her head sympathetically. "I can watch to make sure you don't push yourself too hard, but I have no idea how to handle power like yours."

"It's okay." I slumped back, dropping my chin into my hands. "We'll probably be able to get out of here soon, maybe the two of us can pull this off without even bothering to address the lightning thing."

"Get out of here?" Ally folded her arms over her chest, giving me a quirked eyebrow. "I don't know if that's going to happen anytime soon."

"What?" I looked up. "Why not?"

"I overheard Lauren and Normani talking in their room earlier today, there was conversation about remaining here for a while now, months even."

I frowned. "Months?"

"Yeah. Lauren said something about finally finding a place to call home. I didn't hear anything after that, I was busy bringing a bunch of supplies to and from the infirmary."

Clenching my fists, I jumped off the bed and headed to the door. "Camila?" Ally questioned, turning around and following me. "Are you okay? Did I say something wrong?"

"Not you." I muttered, pulling the door open. "You're fine."

Storming down the hall, I turned the corner to where Normani's room sat at the end of the hall and rapped angrily on the door, waiting for the girl to open it slowly.

"Hey sparky, that's a nice shirt. Wow, you kinda look like you haven't slept in a while." Normani had a smile on her face, one was making my anger even worse. "What's up?"

"Is Lauren here?"

"Yeah, she's in the shower. Can I take a message?"

"No." I snapped, turning around and starting to march away. Normani was quick to exit the room and close the door behind her, turning to me.

"Hey, are you mad? What's going on?"

"Just tell Lauren I need to talk to her when she's finished. Right away."

"I'm sorry, we've actually planned a patrol right after this. There are are bunch of new fledglings that are running around the forest, we need to get out there and bring them in."

"We?" I exclaimed, grabbing a knife from my belt and holding it up. Normani took a small step backwards, holding both hands up defensively.

"Hold on now, there's no need to be bringing that thing out here."

In one swift motion, I slammed the knife into the wall, breaking through the smooth surface with a surprising ease and leaving the blade wedged into the hallway right up to the hilt. "Tell Lauren to come and see me at her majesty's earliest convenience." I growled before giving her one final angry glare and spinning around, vanishing back down the hallway.

***

An hour later there was an inevitable knock at my bedroom door. Whoever it was on the other end didn't wait long before permitting entry, stepping inside and closing it behind them. I had seated myself on the bed, facing away from the door and turning the remaining knife I had over in my hands out of habit. My army green jacket had retaken it's place over my shoulders, the scent of it comforting.

"Camila." It was Lauren.

I didn't reply, wondering how long it was going to take until I was forced to say something. "Camila." She said my name again, stepping closer. "Why did you do that?"

"Do what?"

With a soft thump, my knife landed next to me on the bed, the tip of the blade just visible out the corner of my eye. "Normani told me you came to her room and started snarling at her, then I turn and see your knife stuck in the wall? What's going on with you?"