Sincerely: A Short Tragdety

By, Elijah Aaron

       The room, like many before it, has four walls and a floor. The walls are covered with drawings of a vibrant mind; black pots of roses fill them. There is a desk filled with writing; one side holds poems of beautiful penmanship, the other of pencils, pens, and a deal of school work. Next to the brown desk lays an empty purple backpack, worn and dirty, opened showing where a note once lay. The room smells of a recent burn, and the soft haunt of lavender wandering from wax--the sent comes from glass adjacent to the desk. They lay on a rose printed bed accented with a deep velvet; She rest in repose. Laying with her is one seldom piece of paper, filled with the red velvet from her artwork--carvings of a road map to her heart--and the words of a lover....
      ....Two benevolent voices echoed from the damp forest air; the trees lived in harmony with the rustle of a strong wind. A small pond lay in the middle of the mild trees, and a mossy grass settled near the stir; scattered across the oasis was small Lily's, deep heartedly rooted among the ground. Two friends sat together on a log looking out over the small pond, from behind them they could feel the lights of a warm, amber glow of a far away building.
"Look at the sky," One spoke to the other.
"All I see is clouds," the other replied.
"Exactly, it may appear dark--maybe even gloomy--but behind it is the beautiful night sky; the night stars."
There was a quiet moment as a glistening chill fell upon the air. The somber pond was felt upon twice by a stone recently held in soft hands. Out of the air fell one of their heads on the other. It was silent; still.
"This is nice," one said as they reposed gently on the shoulder of their persons.
"You know, this year has been shit. Everything about it; from the jerk teachers, to that stupid ass dean--"
The other interrupted with a cheerful, but inept sarcasm, "looks like we aren't going to sneak out again."
"Exactly, and yet here we are," a laugh echoed into the night. "I don't know, I just wanted to say thank you about all this."
"It's been, well, it's been great having you--" there was a long pause, "having you in my life." The adolescent lifted their head and looked into into the sky.
"Do you miss New York?" Asked one with their head far in the sky.
"Well I like it better than here, in stupid Utah," The clouds began to thicken less, "What about you?"
"Well, Utah is nothing like Chicago."
The pond rippled again from the touch of a stone. Eventually their glare towards the sky became intense.
"Just a few more months and we are out of this place."
"Yeah, out of this hell-hole. I'm going to miss you."
They felt the sadness of their reality sink in. They held each other with empathy. One considered it, the empathy, and spoke: "You're right, I wonder what's beyond that sky."
"Well, magnificent stars," one reassured as they put their hand over the others shoulder, "But, they're not as beautiful as you."
   Their views shifted to an even brighter night, and they felt upon the stars of the sky. The wind picked up with a cherished embrace tighter then that before. The night-tide darkened with an even sharper divide--it howled at them. Their lips had met.
   The light from behind them grew brighter, and the rustle of the brush became artificial--not of nature. As soon as it had started the figure of a man crowded the lights between the to lovers. He gazed upon them, and they grabbed each other tightly.
"I think you two should follow me to my office," said the man standing behind them. They stood up from the log and tried to speak, but the man said, "I've caught you two out before, but I had no idea it was like this."
The office windows were shut tightly. The brown and tan room was lit only by two dim yellow lights. There was a brown desk in the room; As the man sat behind the brown desk he put down a phone, then looked at the two as they stood with barely a breath escaping them. Sweat dripped gently from their brows, and one looked towards the other with reassurance.
"This is the second time you've been in my office," The man said from the desk, he held his arms between his chest and spoke with a demanding and stern voice. He didn't speak with disappointment, but with complete apathy and disgust. A pause continued across the room. "Would you like to explain to me what that was about?"
"You mean in the forest?" One asked with an unseen smirk.
"Don't take that attitude with me Alex," said the man behind the desk. He suddenly grew in voice, he became red. "You two snuck out too have relations in the woods!" Again there was a silence, "do you deny it?"
"No," spoke Alex.
"Do you understand the consequences of this?" Asked the man as he left his desk and walked towards them.
"Yes," Alex spoke shortly.
"Do you have anything to say for yourselves?" Asked the man.
"Do you want us to regret it?" The other asked.
"What?" The man asked in a certain disbelief.
"Do you want us to regret it? Because we don't, we love each other. We don't regret it."
Alex smiled at the others remark and suddenly the man became furious. He began to speak through his teeth, "Your parents have been notified and they will pick you up in the morning, you are no longer welcome here."
The night drifted into day as surely as it came. They sat outside on a brick wall with grass behind them and a path in front; they felt the warm sun on them. They had their possessions infront of them and Alex wore a heavy purple backpack that lay partially open. They talked gently.
"Alex, I'm going to miss you so much."
"How do you think your parents are going to respond?" Asked Alex in return.
"I promise you they're going to kill me," Said the other with a laugh followed by their harsh, unfair reality.
They looked to their side and saw the dull brick building. It was busy with yet another day, the life inside was unscaved by their fate. It merely went as if the world was normal--unaffected by the truth that it's cruelty inferred. Suddenly their gazed drifted from the building; The sound of a distance car grew closer.
"Well that's my parents," Alex spoke beginning to stand.
"I don't know how I'll live without you," said the other reaching into Alex's purple backpack; placing a white note and beginning to stand.
"I'm sure you'll manage."
"We are in serious--" there was a pause.
"Shit?" Alex asked with scruple to go onward towards car.
"Sorry, I just don't like swearing."
"I know," Alex said as she comforted the other.
"Anyways, all I mean is this isn't something we can move on from."
"I know," Alex said running out of words, unable to articulate the severity of their situation.
"You should go."
"I love you so much," Alex said as tears began to fall from both of them.
"I love you too, I will always love you."
They took one last embrace and parted with a unrequited kiss. With that, closing the backpack, Alex left the brick wall. Tears grew heavily before both of them, and as Alex drove off the parents voices were heard through the reseeding distance....
....Alex lays on the velvet next to the brown desk filled with poems and school supply's; adjacent to the empty purple backpack in a deep sleep. The absence of sound is louder then any raised voices heard before by any elders in the lovers life. There is one sheet of paper that lay next to her--filled also with velvet from her artwork of her painted scars--that holds the life alex and the other, and will for all eternity. Alex, a beautiful girl, lay dead on her bed; her arms and bed cover in blood.
"Dear Alex, you are my entire life. I needed to tell you I don't have any other choice then to take my own life. You are my love, my life, and if this world wants to keep us apart then it's a world I don't want to live in. Thank you for showing me the beauty of the stars behind the clouds. My heart will always be in Utah, with my beautiful girl. --Sincerely, Sarah."