Chapter 5: Pomegranates

Start from the beginning

"Calm down, please," Gabe said. "I won't hurt you. I am a friend of Macy's, and I have a message for you."

"You're an angel too," She asked.

Gabe gave me a pointed gaze, realizing I'd lied to my mother. Angel had just sounded better than cupid's servant, more traditional. He shrugged his shoulders as if to say, alright Macy, I'll pretend to be a fluffy happy angel for you. 

"We prefer the term guardians, but yes, I am. Macy is busy right now, but she wanted to send her congratulations."

"So she is alright, happy?"

"Yes," Gabe replied. "She is serving as an angel until you and your husband pass, and then she'll pass over with you. She's very talented at her...work."

"And you're her angel friend?" My mother asked, looking curious.

"Well, ummm, you see..." Gabe blushed and looked at me, unsure how to answer.

"I suppose we have a lot in common," Gabe said. "We both died young, and now we both serve as gaurdians...and well..."

"Wait, you're her...boyfriend? I didn't think that was possible." 

I giggled, finding Gabe's wildly nervous twitching amusing. He shot me a glance.

"This is not funny," Gabe said to me.  

My mom looked surprised and look in my direction, staring straight passed me.  

"Is she here?" My mom asked.

"Yes," Gabe admitted. "She's not allowed to see you. Technically, I am bending the rules a bit, but..."

"But you're in love with my daughter," my mother said. "So she pushed you into doing this."

"I respect her, and I promise to take care of her," Gabe said.

"Just tell her I love her, and I am so proud. She'll be head angel in no time."

"It doesn't really work like that...." Gabe said.

"Tell her I am happy," I said. It wasn't entirely true or untrue, but she needed to hear it.

"Macy is happy, at peace," Gabe said. "And she loves you."

I felt my body getting pulled, as if something was ripping me away. It was slower this time, like I was sticking to earth for some reason.

"Gabe, I am getting pulled," I said. "I think its Eros."

"What? I thought I stopped him from doing that."

"Who from doing what?" My mom asked.

"Gabe, I'm leaving," I said. "Tell me my mom I said goodbye."

"I will" Gabe said.

And with that, I was back in Eros' bedroom. He was still in his bed, watching me.

"Really?" I said. "You had to rip me away then? And don't you ever get out of bed?"

"Not usually," Eros said. "Besides, you're lucky I didn't pull you away at a worse time. For instance, I could have prevented your kiss with that guardian boy. You know he actually tried to put a protection spell over you, to stop me from summoning you? I don't know where he learned to do that, but he failed. " 

"What do you want?" I asked.  

"You," Eros said. "But more pertinent issues are at hand. Sit please, won't you dear."

He patted the bed and I felt my blood run cold. It was like a wolf inviting a sheep into his wide open mouth.  

"I am not getting into your bed, no way in hell," I said.