The Wager

The Hauntress

I climbed into the window of my apartment, only to climb back out again.

"Don't even think about it, Shea," came my brother's voice. I cringed.

I sulked back inside with my head hung low, shut the window behind me, then leaned against it, crossing my arms and waiting for the lecture.

He was dressed in his officer uniform, which disgusted me. Something about that outfit must have made him feel more powerful--which didn't make much sense to me considering he was an actual superhero--because he always took on his bossy-big-brother act when he wore it. It proved he would make a great parent someday.

"What did I specifically ask you not to do?" he demanded.

I sighed. "Go out as the Hauntress."

"And what did you do?"

"Went out as the Hauntress."

He laughed, but it wasn't because anything was funny. He shook his head and folded his arms. "So I know you heard me. Why didn't you listen?"

"I'm going to prove that I'm not bad anymore."

He scoffed. "Well, recruiting the Mobster definitely didn't help your case. Do you even think before you do anything?"

I stared at him. Was he serious? "You are not lecturing me right now, Soy. I'm not doing this."

I tried to walk past him, ready to take this stupid costume off, but he put a hand out in front of me. I clenched my jaw as I shoved past it.

Just before I could step into my room, he spoke again. "Shea, please just listen to me. You're not safe anymore, and I can't protect the Hauntress."

"I can take care of myself."

Before I could close the door behind me, he had a hand on it, holding it open. "Shea, this is all because of that stupid sigil," he said, jabbing a thumb down at it. "It's blinded you. It's made you a killer. People are dying, and you're hardly taking notice."

I kept my expression as calm as I could, but clenched my fists at either side. "I am who I am, Soy. Accept it."

I shoved him away and slammed the door shut in his face. I leaned my back against it, waiting for the sound of him leaving. Instead, there was a soft knock on my door.

"Shea, please," he begged. "Nothing good can come of that ring. It's never helped anyone. If I were you, I'd hide it away somewhere it won't temp you. Please, please trust me when I tell you to stop this game you're playing with Iron Crisis."

An alarm bell rang in my head. I couldn't resist swinging the door back open to face my brother. "How did you know about that?"

"Look in the mirror," he said, leaning against my doorframe.

I did as he said. I stepped before the mirror above my dresser to find Iron Crisis had smudged my makeup into his initials. I cursed under my breath.

"Is this because of him?" Sawyer continued. "Is he why you're back? Because trust me, Shea, he's bad news. He's a cold-blooded murderer. Please don't tell me you have a crush on him."

"What? No!" I defended myself a little too quickly. I took a quick second to recollect myself. "Soy, honestly. You think I'd fall for that? You're wrong. I wouldn't stoop to that level."

I was lying through my teeth. I realized that all too suddenly. Was this a crush I felt? If it was, I was in deep shit.

I took a shaky breath. "I just... He's still a friend, you know? I care about him. I had to warn him."

"I get that," he sighed. "Seriously, I do. But Iron Crisis is the type of villain who will stab you in the back for whatever reason suits him at the time. You cannot trust him." He said that last part slowly, as if giving me time to comprehend his words.

I shake my head, too overwhelmed with everything. I knew Soy was right, that I shouldn't trust Iron Crisis. But I knew Crisis better than anyone. He wouldn't hurt me. He proved that tonight.

"Please leave, Soy," I said, as much charmspeak in my voice as I could muster.

He turned on his heels and left easily. My charmspeak didn't usually work on him that well since he was my brother, but I'd noticed when we fought it seemed to work better. I heard the front door to the apartment close, and my shoulders relaxed.

I stared at the sigil on my finger. I took it off and set it on my nightstand before heading for the shower.

_________
A/N
Hullo! So obviously it's been a while (sorry), but hopefully I'm back on the bandwagon for this story until it gets done. I pinky swear I'll try harder to get updates up! Thanks for the read😘
- Stevie