Chapter Three - Cold Mist

A/N: I don't know where I'm going with this anymore.. Most of the start up until a bit after the mid portion has gone blank and started floating around where I can't see them anymore. At least I'm almost done with chapter four (I actually sort of finished that chapter before this one and I'm just editing it and adding a few things here and there) and hopefully it will be up in a few days at most.

__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __

Chapter Three - Cold Mist

Riley

Is it just me or is it seriously getting colder? I know I'm a werewolf with a higher temperature tolerance and all that but this cold is ridiculous. My legs are a frozen, shivering mess! I can't even move them!

One moment I'm following Laela into the forest - which by the way is part of pack grounds - and asking her about class, the next I'm literally frozen (I can see ice cristals on my pants so I'm not anywhere near joking) to my seat that was beside Laela's spot while she just walks away, back into school. What's up with that? More importantly, is she okay? I saw the slight change in her eyes from something I don't really know what to stone cold.

"Wait. So let me get this straight. Laela litterally freezes people when they get too close to her?"

"Yeah, that's a big part of the reason why she's called the Ice Queen. And why not a lot of people go near her. Although it doesn't happen often.

"And no one notices the fact that they get frozen for at least five whole minutes!?"

"Most would forget not too long after, others just shrug it off thinking they might be going nuts or just that they get so nevous they freeze up or just get a cold feeling. The only reason I remember is because a teacher was passing by and asked me why I was standing in the middle of the hallway and because my shirt had damp sploches here and there." He scrunched up his nose. "And I saw the same thing happen to Kevin Miller yesterday. Either way, it rarely ever happens," He said with a careless shrug.

"Oh." He just nodded his head in agreement.

"Why'd you ask?"

I screatched the back of my neck and tried not to look at him. "Uhh..."

"She got you too, didn't she?" He just laughed at me.

"Well, to make it better she did let me sit by her while she was eating lunch," I just gave him a sheepish grin.

After what happened with Laela, I went to my second to the last class before the end of school. Jim and I have this class, history, together and since out teacher apparently has an erand to do and is gonna run a bit late I ended up asking him about Laela.

"I wonder if she's human," Jim suddenly asks out of the blue.

"She smells human but I don't know. It's just a big blur."

"That's weird. I thought you had the best nose in your family?"

"I do. And speaking of scents, I smell Ray on you. What did you do?" I had a huge grin plastered on my face seeeing him tense up at what I said. "Why you constantly try - and fail - to flirt with girls when we both know that you're gay is beyond me."

"I'm not gay!"

"Go tell Ray that."

"I'm bisexual." I just gave him an unimpressed look. "Whatever, Ry."

I sighed. Why doesn't he just accept the fact that he likes my brother? I mean, come on, it's written all over his face! For Pete's sake, they even went on at least one date together!

The teacher came in not too long after so we kept quet and tried to pay attention. I don't know about him but I couldn't get the frozen beauty out of my mind.

That day at baseball practice after school, Coach Taylor was shouting at me to focus from the side of the field.

"Sorry, coach!" I still couldn't stop thinking about Laela. Is she really human? If so, is she one of those hyper sensitized human who have tapped into the dormant abilities every being has?

"Adams, focus!" I don't know. Does she even realize she has abilities? Gah! This is so confusing.

"Adams!" Coach Taylor's voice finally derails my train of thought.

"Yeah, coach?"

He takes a deep breath then beckons me over. "Riley, what's gotten into you today? You were all over the place. Your shoes are even on wrong, look." The heck? How did I not notice that my shoes were on wrong?

"Sorry, coach, I'll try to focus for the rest of practice."

"You know what, since there are fifteen minutes left for practice, just go. Sort out whatever it is that's distracting you."

"Thanks, coach."

I went over to the girl's locker room, did my buisness, and went home all the while brooding over whatever thoughts that kept swarming my head.

Laela, who are you?