Chapter 12

Matzu wasn't there, but the take-off chip was. I curse as I check the rooms one last time, only to once again find them empty. I go into the room Matzu had let me stay in, and lift one of the floor boards up.

Underneath, I pull out my hover board. I'd hidden it, and I'm glad I did. Matzu probably would have taken it if he could. I look at Ella, who is following me closely. 

"Matzu's not here." I tell Sora. 

She curses.  

"Excuse your dirty mouth, there's a child here!" I say, referring to Ella, with a hint of laughter in my voice. 

"This is no time to joke. If Matzu's not there... Urgh." Sora sighs. "Just use the take-off chip and leave, Tirus. We don't have any equipment to track Matzu down." 

"What about Ella?" I say, not ready to leave her.

"That's for you to figure out. Your hover board isn't strong enough to hold two people."
Ella looks at me with pleading eyes. 

"Even with the take-off chip?" I pout. 

"It's too dangerous, I wouldn't recommend trying it." She pauses. "Hurry back, Tirus. You're not safe in Raleshere." 

I switch my hover board on, and it raises off the floor. I put the take-off chip, a small, square, blue piece of cold metal, into a slot on my hover board. 

My hover board gains a blue aura that surrounds it. 

I pick Ella up, and sit her down on the board. I get on behind her, and start off. The take-off chip made the hover board more sensitive, and even leaning slightly would move me pretty far.

Ella held on tight as we flew out the building and into the terrible polluted air. I tried being careful with my flying, but Ella still had trouble holding on. 

Then, we rose above the pollution. I took a breath of fresh, clean air for the first time in awhile. Ella seemed to be having trouble breathing, probably because she was so used to Raleshere's air.

When we got into space, Ella gasped. "Woah..."

I laughed. "You like it?" 

She nods, excited. "Where are we going to go?" 

I point to the pitch black rip in the distance. 

Ella's face fills with fear. "What is it? Is it safe?"

I nod, and laugh lightly. "Don't worry. You'll like it!"

I lean forward, and we head toward the rip. 

When we go in, the familiar sensation of space travel over washes me. Ella screams. 

Then it stops.

Dimensional symbols swirl all around us, shining and twinkling like stars. Ella stares, wide eyed. 

"It's so pretty..." She whispers, awed.

We travel for awhile down the hallway, towards Siren. Then I see something that nearly makes me fall off my board in surprise. 

An army of Rift Eaters. Hundreds, all lined up and snarling with rage. 

In the front was an Alpha Rift Eater.

And on it's back was the lady who'd destroyed my home. 

All those years ago.

I thought I'd killed her that day!

Then again, I don't remember what happened after I'd charged at her. 

Well obviously I hadn't killed her, because... 

She was back.