Chapter 14

We went to a small house on the outskirts of town surrounded by trees at the end of a very long, dirt driveway. I stared in awe as the trees enclosed the speeding car and it felt like I had stepped into a fantasy world. The house itself was two stories and with a double garage and I could see a few pathways leading from around it into the trees. I helped Sasuke inside as he leant against me. He complained that he was fine but I could see his face was pale and his eyes were still unfocused.

"What is this place?"

"It's my house. Nobody but my captains know about it, and now you."

I shut my mouth as a frown appeared on Sasuke's face. He must be remembering what he said, and what I had said. However, we had broken up for my safety. He indicated a room on the top floor and I helped him to his bed, taking in everything in the room at once. This was after all Sasuke's personal life and a secret from others. It was full of books. Shelves lined two of the walls and they were crammed with books and even more littered the small desk in the corner. There was another desk with a computer and a camera with some photography gear. The other wall had a record player and at least a hundred records around it. A set of double glass doors led out to a balcony where I could see a chairs and a small table and pot plants all around it.

"Close your mouth."

I snapped my eyes to see Sasuke laying back on his pillows, a smile on his face. He patted the bed next to him and when I looked at him, a question in my eyes he said, "sit with me until I fall asleep."

I hesitated but he looked at me, his eyes full of pain, "please."

I moved forward and sat on the edge of the bed but he grabbed my arm and pulled my down next to him. I lay frozen next to him as he rolled over and placed his arm over my waist. He blinked up at me and I could see he wanted to say something but it was an effort for him to keep his eyes open.

"Go to sleep Sasuke."

"You will be here when I wake up won't you?"

I could hear the desperation in his voice and I swallowed the lump in my throat. Wasn't he the one to break our relationship off?

"Yes, I will stay."

Satisfied that I wouldn't slip away in the night he closed his eyes and within a few moments he was sleeping peacefully. I slid out of his grasp and stood up, blinking burning eyes as I stared down at him.

"Naruto?"

I turned to the door to see Jugo standing there watching me.

"Can we talk to you?"

I took one last glance at the ravens' peaceful face and followed Jugo down stairs. He led me to the kitchen were Kakashi had just cooked up some pancakes and had a pot of freshly brewed coffee. I inhaled the heavenly scent and Jugo poured me a cup and slid over a plate of pancakes. I took as sip but ignored the food for now. I took a deep breath and looked at the two men who were staring at me and waiting for me to speak.

"What has been happening?"

"We shouldn't get you involved. We have worked hard to keep you safe and away from all this."

"I am already involved. Those men came to the bar looking for me to help find Sasuke but when they didn't think he was there they were ready to sell me. Don't forget, I have my own demons hunting me. So he broke up me because of the danger he is in, not because he doesn't care for me?"

They exchanged glances and I held my breath. My whole decision was riding on their answer of this question, if it was a no I don't think I could live through that again.