Chapter 3

I paced the room looking up at the clock for the fifth time in as many minutes. It was still only quarter to seven.

"Is this okay?"

I turned to Shikamaru who was heating up his dinner in the kitchen and heard him sigh.

"For the hundredth time Naruto you look fine now stop pacing and sit down! You're making me tired just watching you."

I sat on the edge of the couch, niggling my knee and looking at the clock. I heard another sigh and felt something cold against my neck. I jerked and looked up to see Shikamaru holding a bottle of water.

"Drink this and calm down."

I undid the lid and almost chocked on the first mouthful. Slowing down I took a deep breath and took a better sip. Shikamaru sat on the table in front of me and placed his hands on my knees, looking into my face.

"Just calm down, deep breaths. You are ready for this."

I did as he was told and took another sip of the water, my mouth was feeling very dry.

"It's not that I am afraid of going on a date with him. I am nervous."

I smiled at his surprised face.

"I thought I would be scared about putting myself out there, especially since I don't know much about Sasuke but I am excited and nervous and really looking forward to spending time with him. I am actually wanting this to be a date, I want to be with him."

"Well there are no worries there."

When I raised my eyebrow in question Shikamaru smiled and indicated to my clothes. Dress pants, a button up shirt, tie and jacket handing on the back of the chair.

"You don't go to a fancy place just to say thank you. Besides he is paying so it's a date."

I opened my mouth to ask how he was sure when the doorbell rang and I felt my heart leap into my throat. Shikamaru patted my knee and stood up.

"I will answer it, you take a moment to compose yourself."

He winked at me and wandered off while I took another sip of the drink and tried to calm my breathing and flatten my wild hair. I heard the door open and Sasuke's mellow tones.

"Hello, my name is Sasuke and I am here to pick up Naruto."

"So you are Sasuke. I am Shikamaru, Naruto's roommate."

I grabbed my jacket and moved to the door, feeling a little bit more composed. All that vanished when I saw the god standing in my doorway. Sasuke's raven hair was perfectly styled and glossy, his dark eyes moving straight to me the moment I appeared and widening in appreciation. I felt underdressed, despite the fact he wore similar clothes to me but his tie was red, mine yellow.

"Hello Naruto, good to see you again. Are you ready to go?"

I couldn't trust my voice so I simply nodded and headed through the door. As Sasuke turned away Shikamaru grabbed my shoulder and leant in to whisper.

"I won't wait up."

He laughed at my blushing face and closed the door as I rushed after Sasuke. He held the door open to an expensive looking black car and I slid in. Sasuke closed it and moved around to the other side, jumping in the driver seat.

"The orange haired man isn't here today?"

Sasuke looked at me sidelong as we drove along.

"Why would he be here for a date?"