Chapter 16

The weeks passed in relative peace. I continued to go to work, both Sasuke and Shikamaru said they wanted my life to be as normal as they could make it and I couldn't find it in me to argue. I didn't like being parted from Sasuke for so long and he was the same so I reduced my hours. When I did go to work though Kakashi was always nearby and other members of the family dropped in and patrolled the area. Instead of going back to Sasuke's house or the hotel we stayed in the headquarters that looked like a group of apartment buildings. I would never have passed it thinking that inside was completely different. The apartments were all linked up and it there was a huge basement that I wasn't allowed in, it was where they interrogated people. I steered well away from it.

Shikamaru upped my training and taught me martial arts while Kakashi continued teaching me how to use a gun and Suigetsu stepped in to show me how to fight and throw knives. Sasuke didn't approve, I could tell when he would come to the soundproofed training room with his mouth set in a grim line as he watched but he didn't say anything. Deep down, he understood that there wouldn't always be someone around to save me and I was sick of being the damsel in distress.

There had been a few incidents where Sasuke or some of his men had been attacked. I had been waiting at the headquarters for him to get home one day when a commotion had started up and Sasuke was rushed in with Jugo buy his side, both of them sporting cuts. They had only been shallow but I had freaked out, seeing the amount of blood splattered on Sasuke's clothes. He had stripped down to his underwear to show me that it wasn't his blood and only then did I allow him to go and have a shower. Shikamaru and Karin worked hard at tracking down the traitors and were weeding them out quickly and efficiently so the attacks lessened dramatically. I was targeted only once. I was walking down the road after grabbing some lunch when a car had screeched to a stop in front of me and four men had jumped out. I had bolted the moment the doors had opened and a bullet had had grazed my leg and I stumbled to the ground. I reached into my pocket for my own gun but before I could do anything Kakashi and two other gang members surrounded my attackers and they had surrendered. Sasuke had been furious when we had returned, my leg bandaged and he had proceeded to beat the man who had shot me before having them all taken to the basement. After that there were only a few skirmishes and everything seemed to be returning to normal.

I was walking around the property as the sun was setting, enjoying the leaves changing colour as we were well and truly into Autumn. The sun was warm but a cold chill swept through the yard and I closed my eyes, enjoying the peaceful moment.

"Donna Naruto."

I sighed at the girly title that despite my constant pleading everyone still insisted on calling me. When I turned I saw one of the members who was on patrol waving and walking over to me I recognized the red hair and heavy eye liner and smiled.

"Hey Gaara, you got guard duty again?"

The red head nodded and brushed his hair out of his face and I stared at the Japanese Kanji tattooed on his forehead. I had asked him what it said once and he said that it meant love.

"You really enjoy the gardens don't you? Surely you have seen it all?"

We looked around the garden in silence for a moment, just enjoying the serenity of the moment. The gardens were large, hedges and flower beds lined the footpaths and larger trees created secret alcoves where there were seats and an overly large one in the back corner had a swing underneath it. A pond was in one corner where I had set up a hammock and it was my favourite place to read and rest.

"Yes but I love it out here, it reminds me of Sasuke's home. It is so peaceful out there, I miss it a lot."

Gaara smiled down at me, hearing the yearning in my voice.