Free

Lost_Girl1005

012

"My dear twelve, you must listen! This is good, this is good!" a tall man said soothingly, to a small girl draped in a white hospital gown. She pulls her knees to her chest, and digs her face in her kneecaps in response to the man. Her sobs are muffled as her small frame trembles with fear, with a deep sense of despair and guilt. "Twelve, you did what was needed to be done, don't cry over it!" the man tries to walk over to the poor girl, but she slaps his hand away. "No." she manages to make out in an angry voice, livid with fury at the man. The man sighs, looking at the hand that the child just firmly hit. "You know you'll have to be punished for bad behavior," he informs her, no trace of guilt evident in his cool words.

The girl looks up, her small, slim face contorted into an expression of deep loathing and fear, looking like a scared puppy. "No, please," she begs softly, still weeping. "Yes." the man commands firmly, taking her emaciated wrist with grip like steel, pulling her to her feet with quick, unrelenting force. "Come with me. You know, your sister likes someone to play with. Remember?" She started to full on struggle, trying to use her limited strength to get him to release her. No use. She's trapped. He smiles menacingly, his eyes showing no sliver of empathy towards the terrified girl. But, she keeps fighting, clawing at him. What really stops her in the end is a loud SMACK! The sound of flesh impacting flesh rings throughout the airy hallway, where she was getting dragged along. She wails, her sheet-like cheek turning a bright red. "Are you done fighting, Twelve?" his dark voice echoes, staring at the mortified girl. She nods, as more tears well down her cheeks. "Y-yes, father," she murmurs idly, staring at the white tiles beneath her feet.

"Good." he replies sternly, pulling her along the fluorescent-lighted corridor. "You'll be going into the playpen." he informs her. Her mouth drops open, knowing the horrors of the playpen. "N-no, p-p-p-pl-please!" she begs, choking on her words. "Yes, my child. This is why you don't disobey me." and with her wrist, pushes her through a door, where her unearthly screams are heard from the other side.
                         *~*~*~*~*

I'm leaving. Right here, Right now. I can't take it anymore, I can't, I CAN'T! It's too much, far too much! I have to leave, I have to. I'm seventeen, and I haven't left. Eleven did, why can't I? Well, she's technically stronger than me, older... but I can escape. I'm leaving. Right now!

My thoughts are interrupted by him. The man that I love more than anything, that I loathe more than anything. I want him to die, but I want to hold him tightly, keep me safe. He's kept me safe all of those years...

why am I betraying him? "Twelve, you look lovely today." I glance down at my hospital gown, with small blue flowers printed on the soft cloth. I've looked like this for fourteen years, I think bitterly, but I just smile at father. "Thank you, father." I mutter graciously. "I need your help today. You know the quantum leaps that were trying to figure out? Come with me, child." he beckons me, hoping that I'll follow. Manipulation of photons is a very rare ability, very hard to control. "But... dangerous?" I ask lightly, and he frowns. "No, no! You'll be one hundred percent fine. Just listen to my directions, and you'll be perfect." I give him a skeptical look, but I hesitantly follow him.

"Father? I don't want to do this," I admit, wincing at the weakness in my voice. I have a terrible feeling about this, I don't like it. Father glares at me, making me shrink back. "Twelve, I told you! You don't want to go into the playpen, do you?" a deep terror arising within my stomach. The place, it's scary. It hurts, it's so dark and cold, I can't see or feel! It makes it hard to breathe, only monsters lurk within it. "No, father." I tell him in desperation.

"Good. Follow me." he yanks my arm, making me stumble, and almost fall. But I don't. "Clumsy. We'll need to work on that." I hear him murmur. On the way, my terror increased drastically, so scary and so terrifying, I can't take it! I don't want to, I don't want to, I don't want to!

"No." I growl darkly, as the lightbulbs shatter, leaving us enveloped in darkness. I feel my opportunity, and start running, my bare feet hitting the broken glass in heavy thuds.

It hurts.

But I don't care. I start, for some reason, projecting the air around me and making it heat up to boiling point, making the walls almost melt. The air is hot, as it's prickly. People are falling, their skin literally boiling off of their body and molding on the floor. No effect on me, though. None on me. Their cries of anguish don't have me feeling guilty. I like this. I like this a lot.

As the air starts to heat up, I can feel particles crackling around me, ripping and chasing one another, as it's sound of vibrant electricity gives me joy. In less then a second, the air relinquishes a blast of energy, and everything goes down in flames.

Free.

I'm free. And it's all going to burn.

I'm free, and I'm unscathed by this collective fire, sputtering flames, licking my skin. "You did it, Twelve." a voice echoes within my brain, sounding precisely like father.

No. He's dead.

And I'm alive. The air cools down to it's moderate temperature, as I look at the refuge of the once glistening laboratory.

Free. And I'm still here, the flames eroding off of my skin. As I almost collapse, the sound of sirens in the distance lull me into darkness.

I wake up, and find that there are faces looking over me. Four, actually. They're all boys, and as my vision sharpens, I see an older lady, a teenage girl, and a teenage boy. "She's up." the boy with longer, jet-black hair informs everyone.

The teenage girl crawls next to me, feeling my forehead. "Are you all right? Lucas and Dustin found you while they were on a bike ride, near the fire of H.A.L," she explains, and I look up at her, confused. I'm still fatigued, very dizzy. "W-what?" I ask, and a collective roar is instantly heard, making them snap their heads around the room.

I fall back asleep to the sound of their screams, and when I wake up, it's all wreckage.

And the scariest thing: I couldn't handle being in that... place, for only three weeks.