I can remember

riarklehugs

You

Over the last couple of months, you and Jonathan have formed a close bond, a deep friendship. You don't even remember how or why, you just know that it happened, and it makes you extremely happy. Seriously, you get ecstatic when you are with him, it gives you a comforting feeling inside; something that you haven't really received. Not in a long time, anyway.

When you were just a young girl, back in 1970, you're mom was killed in a car crash. You remember the year so well, because of the traumatizing newspaper article that was released in the fall of said year. The article that explained her death, no sympathy written in any of the fine, black print. October 30th, 1970. It's always been kind of funny to you how she was killed on the Devil's night, one day before the celebrated Halloween. There was no celebration on that Halloween. There was only darkness, emptiness, despair. That filled you, and your father, with immense doses of dread that fueled you slowly for the last fourteen years. Now, you being eighteen years old, and transferring schools, you feel happiness. True happiness that you only feel with a loved one. And that center of happiness is Jonathan Byers, the one who has kept you functioning peacefully for the last couple of months. He, of course, doesn't know that. He sees you as only a mere friend, someone cast away, his eyes fixated on the blue-eyed girl that walks in the hallways. Nancy.

You have nothing against Nancy, but you wish you could show Jonathan that she was with Steve, and he needed to move on. Being in Senior year gives both you and him opportunities, to find futures. Your future is hopefully somewhere strong, you've always wanted to be a veterinarian, or an author. Yet, those dreams have been imagined with Jonathan, and that's how you know you love him. You love Jonathan Byers, the outcast who barely speaks. Only to you... and Nancy.

~*~*~*~*~

The crisp October morning awakens you, and the first thought that crosses your mind is school... which is weird. You aren't a fan of school, too many kids with too many priorties, some of which are pointless. School fills you with wonder, most likely because of Jonathan, the man who you love. Love, an odd feeling. One that hasn't been given to you since I was four, after dad turned cold, you think solemnly, but you try to replace that with a smile. Like always. Smile, smile, smile. Don't cry, it's not worth it. Smile.

You repeat this over and over, until your eyes land on the 1984 calender that hangs on your wall. Most of the days are crossed out... except for two. Today, which is... the 30th. Fourteen years. Fourteen years since you became half-orphan. Fourteen years since the person you loved most was taken away, ripped from this cold earth. This cold, sad earth.

A tear manages to slide down your cheek, overwhelming sadness striking you with brute force. It hurts. It hasn't gone away, the pain hasn't. It's been fourteen years, you were four years old. But you remember. You remember her kind smile, her warm eyes, her need to make others around her happy. Her scent of tomatoes and freshly cut grass; she loved gardening and working outside. Everything about her, you can register with a simple thought, multiplying the pain by so much more.

You have to ignore it. You'll see Jonathan and he'll make you happy again, even if he doesn't requit your love. He's your friend. Friend. These thoughts swim in your mind, making a small and sad smile form on your tear-stained cheeks. "You'll be okay. Like normal," you whisper to yourself. You look at the ceiling, and you say something that almost breaks your own heart. "Mom... I love you. Happy forty-third birthday. And happy fourteenth deathday. I'm okay... you should be, too." you quickly get changed and immediately walking to school, no "goodbyes" to your dad. He's most likely upset himself. You slip through the door, careful not to disturb your dad, and you sigh when you shut the door successfully. "I love you, dad," she murmured, and walked off to school, her fake smile still plastered on her face.