Thirteen

Cal, Archeon

They were eating dinner together?" What kind of twisted story is this? I thought glaring at the monitors. It was a couple hours after Maven had returned from his expedition, and Kilorn and I were still on duty, the rest of the sentinels were savaging through Archeon looking for rebels that had caused the ruckus during his torture event.

They were just sitting there conversing if you could even call it that. Maven would speak almost issuing an order for her to respond, and Mare would murmur something back, barely audible. What really bothered me was the utter look of defeat in Mare's eyes and the happiness in Maven's, he looked as if he'd won a war. Then he placed a hand atop of her's, his fingers roaming her's. 

Ugh, I couldn't watch anymore, we had to get her out of there and quick. Kilorn had to see for himself. It was just about time to give him a look. I thought before exiting the door, one of us had to keep watch if the king's room was completely unprotected they would have our heads. Kilorn gave a slight nod walking into the room.

I probably stood out there before Evangeline Samos walked by looking confused as she surveyed the door "Where's officer Killagan?" She asked mildly confused and frustrated 

I shrugged "Break," I said in a gurgled voice, I prayed God she didn't recognize my voice 

She didn't seem to instead she seemed a bit disappointed but that quickly switched to anger "But he was supposed to be here, I just checked his schedule!" Her face flashed Sliver "Do you know where I could find him?" 

I shrugged once again, not risking the voice. Evangeline's face flushed then crumbled, as she turned.  She really was a mess, she didn't even look decent, and as far as I could see she was covered in blankets, not a bit of metal on her. I could end her at this moment, just like her brother, I should end her just like her brother but she seemed to helpless I wasn't one to murder anyone helpless.  Evangeline turned disappearing around a corner.

I glanced down at my watch or shift was almost over, apparently there was an emergency meeting half the sentinels would be attending. The other half was still tracking down the red rebels, which they wouldn't find. We had about five more minutes in our position, just then Kilorn slipped from the room, his eyes glum. "You could've warned me, it was that bad," Kilorn muttered his eyes on his shoes. 

"Didn't know allot of things were that bad," and I wasn't just talking about Mare's mental state I was talking about a lot of things, Maven's jealousy sure I knew he was bitter about a few things but I had never guessed it was enough to murder dad, the stupidy of my court, they believed such a far-fetched story without any evidence, there wasn't even video evidence plus wasn't Maven spotted with the Scarlet guard moments before the incident that left me fatherless, and most of all how intense my feelings for Mare was, It practically broke me when she told me no to  touch her anymore, all the other girls in the world seemed to fade into black and white, then Mare came along and bright streaming colors to change my perspective on everything. 

Kilorn and I stood in silence until the end of our shift, then tumbled down to the sentinel wing. Everyone was sitting around tables and such but Kilorn and I stood next to the door in case someone had sent the castle a tip.

The door opened to reveal the king himself, Maven. The near sight of him was enough to piss me off, with his smug smile, my blood boiled at the sight of my medals on his suit. He carried himself with a confident grace as if the world had bowed to him, the world had bowed to him, his world had bowed to him, my world had bowed to him. Mare

"Attention Brave Sentinels, I'm sure your all wondering why you've been called to an emergency meeting, but I assure you it's quite a positive thing," Maven says his eyes meeting each of ours, they linger on me as his eyebrows furrow then thankfully slip to Kilorn. "You've all been selected for a trip tomorrow to the front, our war efforts have been foiled by our own, red rebels have been coordinating a rebellion against their esteemed generals, this attack would've been taken by surprised if not for my our very own eyes," Maven said his eyes flashing back to mine, my contacts should've not attracted any attention, then fanned away with a slight smile marking his face "This is not a request but an order, you have been specifically chosen based on your status lower for a chance to improve your rank. You've all been assigned a station, We will be departing in about four hours those of you selected to transport our esteemed guests will report to the dining room in approximately one hour." He ordered already getting board of us, then stalking out of the room. Then slamming the door open "Why are their sporks all over the hallway!" He shouted. His face was flushed. Everyone in the room seemed confused following him into the hallway, it was so incredibly odd sporks of all colors and sized laced the floor of the hallway then spray painted on the wall, Lil Eve.