six

fourth week of third grade.

✨🌸✨🌸✨

"what does that mean?"

"mom!" madison yelled from their room, panicking at the conversation she regretted starting. "emergency!"

they both heard their mother quickly stepping through the halls, showing up at their door with her arms crossed and a cooking apron on. "what's the matter?"

"tyler doesn't know what straight and gay means and i accidentally asked him what he was, help me mother," madi said quickly, looking to tyler and biting her lip in regret.

"and why can't you explain it?"

"because it's something a mother has to do!" she said scared but forcefully. "you know these days! they won't let you just 'be gay' they need he entire family support. he doesn't even know what it means!"

"what?" tyler asked loudly in boredom. he was getting tired of waiting for an answer.

his mother sighed to herself, and sat in his bed next to him, tyler laying down in frustration and her just smiling calmly.

"tyler, honey," she said, stroking his light brown hair through her fingers, "do you like anyone?"

"well, i like you and madi," he said innocently, and not realizing the question that was asked.

his mother laughed to herself a bit, watching as madison left the room with a cringe attack and embarrassment to the topic flooding her mind.

"no, tyler," she said softly, "i mean do you like anyone at school? like how mommy and daddy like each other?"

"you mean how you and daddy like each other?" tyler asked, a small blush rising to his cheeks.

"yeah."

"of course! i like jishwa." tyler said, sitting up a bit and giggling to himself about funny times they've had together.

"are you sure you like him?" she asked, being happy for her son instead of the disappointment she honestly expected. she didn't get the disappointment to her happiness.

"i'm sure!" tyler said, smiling wide talking about his joshua.

"okay, sweetheart. i'm okay with that," she told herself and tyler. raised by a homophobic family, she wasn't one-hundred percent on board, but she wasn't about to tell her son what to do either.

she kissed his forehead, hearing a giggle escape his lips and smiling.

"it's bedtime now, go say goodnight to everyone and go to sleep, okay?" she said, hugging her son.

"okay, momma."

✨🌸✨🌸✨