Repercussions

Leaning against the wall across from the Marshal's office, Oliver closes his eyes in an attempt to block out the yelling coming from inside. Both Diggle and most of the other pilots are at it, and he knows he'll likely be the next to receive an earful. Today might have been a disaster to them, but not to the veteran Jaeger pilot. Felicity and he made history forty minutes ago. Never before have two pilots with so little background together linked so completely and successfully. Hell, no two pilots, period, have ever been in alignment as high as they have today.

Felicity reaches for his arm, and, though it should surprise him, the action is completely familiar. It's an odd sensation, Ghosting after two years with only himself in his head. Though an unexpected side-effect of the Drift, Ghost-Drifting—or Ghosting—is one of his favorite things about being a pilot. He can feel her nervousness and concern at the back of his mind even now, even as faint as it is. He's never heard of anyone Ghosting after just one Drift, but, then again, the two of them have proven far from normal thus far.

She probably doesn't recognize the bleed between their minds because she's never experienced it, but when Felicity voices his thoughts aloud, Oliver knows she's feeling it, too. "I'm going to get my ass reamed today, aren't I?" she asks him, though she seems resigned to her fate.

The righteous anger that takes over is an unfamiliar sensation, though not unpleasant. "I won't let anyone yell at you," Oliver promises her. "This was my fault. You did fine, but I threw you out of alignment." It hits him again, harder than any violent metaphor he knows. "I nearly killed you today, Felicity."

Before she can argue—and he has no doubt she was about to argue—heels click along the floor, and a blonde in a yellow dress comes spiraling toward them. She wraps Felicity up in a huge hug. "I saw what happened, and they wouldn't let me see you until you were out of the armor-suit-thing and I just..." She hugs her again, and it makes Oliver feel like even more of a disaster. "I'm so glad you're all right."

Rolling her eyes over her mother's shoulder, Felicity insists, "I'm fine, Mom. I went out of alignment, and Oliver knew what he was doing." He scoffs at that description, and it puts him at the business end of a nasty glare. Slowly it turns to a soft smile. "It was just everyone else who was freaking out."

Donna pulls back, examining her daughter and her tired smile. "I'm glad you're okay, Felicity." She turns to Oliver, but her expression changes to alarm suddenly. "Oh my God! Your eye is bleeding! I think you should see the doctor, Oliver. That's—"

He holds his hands up to placate her. His own mother hadn't been so upset about the ocular hemorrhage spreading out at the bottom of his iris. "It's okay, Donna," he assures her. "I solo-piloted and I have a low neural tolerance. It's nothing serious." Before she can worry over him, he adds, "Felicity did well today—you should be proud of her."

The blonde frowns. "I heard that Felicity was the one who went... out of the thing first," she points out, confused. "And that you were the one who saved her. So thank you, Oliver, for saving my baby girl."

"It was my—" he starts.

Felicity doesn't let him finish. "Mom," she calls with a smile, "we have to talk to Marshal Diggle in a minute to determine what happens next." She points to the closed door in front of them. Thankfully, the yelling has quieted for a moment. "Why don't you go back to the mess hall, and I'll catch you when we're finished? I can show you J-Tech and let you meet some of my other friends. Okay?"

"Of course, baby!" she answers, with a glance toward the door. "I'll see you in a little while, then." She shakes Oliver's hand again. "It was so nice meeting you, Oliver. You two moving that robot together... that was pretty neat." He laughs at her words and they say their goodbyes, both pilots watching her disappear down the hallway.