Part III: Chapter 49

Raven already had Woodman's neck in his hands, pinning his nemesis to the grass and baring his teeth in fury as a red spot welled up and trickled from the fresh bullet wound just inches from the center of his bare chest, dripping blood all over Woodman.

Raven didn't hesitate for a moment to punch the flailing Woodman across the face over and over and over again.

"You're a f*cking monster and you deserve to pay for your trickery, Hunter Woodman," Raven bellowed vengefully as he tried to ruin Woodman's face in the very moment he'd been waiting for for over eight long years.

The 'Wildlife Enthusiasts' originally turned their guns to Raven, but as they feared shooting Woodman, they started looking to me instead.

Sh*t! I looked desperately for somewhere to hide from their aim, but every wide-enough tree trunk was far out of my reach.

"Hurt her and I'll snap his neck, you know I will!" Raven snarled. "Followed by Craig, Percy, Ben, Dave and Earnest in that order!"

Craig needed no further persuasion to drop his gun and put his hands above his head

Craig needed no further persuasion to drop his gun and put his hands above his head. "Nope, no need for that, no need for that," he said, breathing heavy and sweating bullets. "No trouble from me. Just gonna mosey on back away..."

Ben was already backing away from the situation with his gun cast aside. Earnest, still conflicted in his loyalties, backed up too.

"F*cking try me, Birdsh*t!" Percy challenged, but didn't approach Raven, who still had his boss' neck in his hands.

Dave, one of the remaining two henchmen, decided to waive Woodman's safety before things could spiral downwards any further. He put his fingers to his mouth and whistled for the dogs to attack.

The sea of dogs that had stood behind them, lying in wait, sprang into action with a deafening roar of barking, pouring over the lawn towards us like a tidal wave

I blew as hard as I could into the dog whistle, and to the sound of it, the dog army descended into confusion and chaos, some dogs barking, some pawing at their ears, some preoccupied with whatever dog had stopped in their way.