Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Dave is stiff throughout the whole getting into the Zodiac City. He doesn't say much, but he seems like he talks to himself more. I wonder if the guy has a mental problem. I could always take a look inside his head, but that would be invading his privacy. Dave seems a nice guy. First impression.

Albert is not comfortable being around with the newcomer. He's been constantly looking over at Dave, checking him out, figuring if he's an ally or a foe. He's probably thinking mostly about the latter. I don't need to get inside his head just to know what he's thinking about the new guy. I can't really blame him though. Dave has just popped up in the middle of nowhere with a spirit girl beside her. That's not something you see every day, or every time.

The little spirit whispers in Dave's ear, her eyes trained on us as her lips move. Albert and I share a look, arched brows as we try to eavesdrop. But the way the little spirit speaks to Dave, it's like she's talking to a wind, and they have some sort of language that they use.

Dave's eyes focus on us, looking back and forth between me and Albert. We share a look again before training our sight on Dave. "She's asking if there are any more people live here. We're really not from here as you can see."

My ears perk up from what I've heard. What does he mean he's not from here? I turn around to face him, confusion etched on my face. I become stiff and awkward, not really sure how to ask him what does he mean by that. Albert stands beside me, resting a palm on my shoulder and I instantly relax. I guess he has that effect on me.

"What do you mean you're not from here?" I ask him, gulping. Albert nods unsure, like he doesn't know whether he'd like to know the truth or not. My palms become clammy. "What do you mean by that?"

Sophie and Dave look at each other, contemplating whether they would tell me what they know or not. Dave has a thoughtful look on his face, his foot lightly tapping on the ground as he thinks. The iris of his eyes move upwards, as if checking to see the answers across the sky. Sophie nods slowly to her companion. She leans down again to his ear and her lips move.

He sighs, hands clenching and unclenching. "I know this is probably going to be weird, but... we are here for a mission?" He says unsure, looking at the spirit and Sophie bobs her head up and down, making her long hair bounce. I tilt my head, expecting him to proceed to the story. "We need to see a portal that leads to different worlds."

"Portal that leads to different worlds?" I ask incredulously, like he has grown another head.

"What do you mean portal that leads to different worlds?" Albert asks, annoyance evident in his voice. I put a hand on his chest, stopping him from speaking more. He gives me a death glare, not wanting to be stopped. Albert is really a hard-headed Scorpio. I wonder if all Scorpio people are just like him; hard-headed and mean and creepy and bipolar. I match his intense gaze, and he groans once he realizes that I'm not going to back down.

"Would you mind explaining it any further? We're not understanding anything."

Dave sighs, frustrated, as he runs a hand across his face. Sophie flips her hair, rolling her eyes childishly. What did I do? I was just asking because I couldn't understand anything! Dave mutters something underneath his breath, looking down on the ground. I can practically see the gears working in his head as he thinks.

He takes a deep breath and cranes his neck to the left and right, clasping his hands and rubbing it together. "Okay, here we go. We are from a place called Earth. God I feel like I'm in Dragon Ball Z. But anyways, yeah, I'm from a place called Earth, and I was sent here into the Spirit Realm just to find the portals that leads to the different worlds such as Earth, and yeah, other stuff. I'm guessing that we're trying to break into the Zodiac City."

"He's an enemy!" Albert yells, putting on a fighting stance. "Can't you see? They are trying to destroy the Zodiac City, us!"

Sophie yelps, hiding behind Dave. "Hold it, Albert! We're not sure!" I say, throwing daggers at him. "What do you mean you're trying to break into the Zodiac City?" The little spirit hides any further behind Dave's back. There's a sudden thick tension lingering in the air, trying to suffocate us all.

"Will anybody just calm the heck down?" Dave says as he childishly stomps his foot on the ground. His eyes become a royal blue, making us gasp. The tone of his voice has also changed. It has become deep and dark and commanding, like he's telling us that he's the Alpha here and no one should question him. I don't know why I have a sudden fear travelling up and down my spine, but I still feel that Dave is a good guy. For a couple of seconds, his eyes stay that way before it changes back to the color that I love, a coffee brown color. Once everybody shuts up, he sighs, like he's exhausted and everything. Sophie sighs in relief. "Okay, first of all, I was sent here to find the portal or portals. I'm not sure. Second, we're tasked to see what's going on in the Spirit Realm as the Shamans felt that something has happened here, like a war, and from the looks of it, a war has been held here. Third, we can't get into the Zodiac City realm as there's something blocking us from entering. I mean, them from entering. Wait, do you know the Zodiac City? Are you from Zodiac City? Wait... it's confusing. Is Zodiac City a different world from the Spirit Realm, the Land of Second Chances?"

I feel that a headache is already forming inside my head and I groan. Albert looks at me worriedly, rubbing my back soothingly and I sigh, liking the feeling of his warm hand rubbing my back. I give him a small smile, thanking him. He smiles back at me in return, and a blush fills up his cheeks as we stare a bit longer. I suppress a chuckle, avoiding to comment how cute and adorable he is.

Dave seems lost for words as he tries to put two and two together. I'm trying to put the puzzle pieces together, but even if I try so hard, I can't figure out what's happening. We've gone to the war just to fight for our freedom. Did we obtain it, the freedom? I feel like we haven't.

"I don't have any idea what you're talking about, Dave." I say to him honestly, staring at him. "But you're correct, we know the Zodiac City. We are the Zodiac people. All we know is that we're trapped here in this world. You mentioned that this is the Land of Second Chances, right?"

He nods. "Yes, it is. At least that's what I've been told."

"I've been having dreams about the Land of Second Chances." I state. Albert looks at me, arching a brow. "I keep having a dream about this strange man who kills... Guardians. He mentioned a Guardian on... Earth. Hey, you're from Earth. Oh fuck...."

"What, what is it?" Albert asks, looking back and forth between Dave and I.

"I'm a Guardian," says Dave. I look at him with wide eyes. "And I feel that you have an aura of a Guardian."

"Wait, what is the Guardian?" Albert shouts, not really catching up with us.

"A Guardian; a defender, protector, or keeper." Dave says, his eyes have become a royal blue. Albert gasps, taking a step back as we both watch Dave emanates a dangerous aura that could make anyone flee. But as I feel the surrounding aura, it feels like it's feeding on me. I suddenly feel the same aura he has on me. "We protect our people, our world, to keep peace between the creatures the Good Goddess has made."

"Brent, do you know what he's talking about?" asks Albert.

"I get him," I say truthfully. "I do get him. We need to go to the Zodiac City. Dave, we will bring you to Dylan. He's the leader of the Zodiac City. I think I have a clue as to what is happening. We will be needing the help of Beige though. He can figure things out, put two and two together. When we get there, spill what you know." Dave nods. Sophie giggles in delight.

I take Albert's hand, holding it close to mine and the actions make him blush. I throw him a smirk, which he rolls his eyes on. I lean down and kiss him on the cheek, and his face goes crimson red and his lips purse. I chuckle.