Chapter Forty Three - The Homecoming

Start from the beginning

It was difficult battle for Maine to stay strong, considering she was physically weak from childbirth and emotionally vulnerable. The clearance to feed her babies came after three nights in the hospital, but only from a drip, which meant she had to pump her breastmilk every three hours instead of enjoying the bond formed when breastfeeding. She cried, for every breast pump session meant a bonding moment deprived of her and the twins. She was reduced to watching them being feed with a glass pane between them, as the twins hungrily sucked at the tube of the drip feed.

And then came the day that they would be going home, but would be leaving the twins behind. It took a supreme effort of control for them to remain stoic, what with media covering their departure from the hospital. They maintained a calm exterior especially when reporters interviewed them, asking questions about Maine's and the twins' recovery. Alden felt like punching them in the face for crowding his wife, without regard for her condition and emotional state. But Maine learned from him well, she gave short but firm answers, did not break down and succeeded in discouraging them from asking too personal questions.

Their first nights in the condo after coming home from the hospital were hellish, to say the least. Alden was quiet most of the time while Maine went from quiet to wacky, trying to overcompensate for her sadness. She tried to liven up for both of them, but when Alden caught her crying silently in their room, he snapped out of his brooding and took charge. They talked for the whole night, comforting each other, laying bare all their fears.

"Babe, pano kung mamatay sila doon na wala man lang tayo? Ang lungkot, babe, di ko kaya, wala man lang tayong laban," Maine said, her chest heaving from so much emotion.

"Hindi mangyayari yun," Alden assured her, even though he was having trouble breathing from fear of it coming true. "God is watching over our twin, Maine, just have faith, matatapos rin ito."

They visited the twins everyday, religiously staying in the nursery for three to five hours, just holding them, taking turns with each baby, talking to them in comforting whispers. From time to time, they would be rewarded with an angelic smile, and the world would be right again.

They finally brought the twins home, feeling the happiness brought about by a new home and having the twins with them. As they put the twins in their respective cribs, they began to cry. Alden picked up Siegfried and motioned for Maine to put Athena in his other arm. He sat on the rocking chair and started singing to them one of his songs.

Sky is gray
Moon is pale
Find the missing colors
Smoke like in the air

Never been
Haven't seen
A shelter to get over
A secret hideaway

Rescue me, you're all I have
Turn to me come take my hand
Don't know where I stand
Nowhere to be found
Rescue me, let love suffice
Let illusions leave my eyes
Temporary lies
Turn to paradise

Rescue me... Rescue me...

Another day
Not astray
Gather shattered pieces
While you are on your way

All I see
Is you and me
Clear as the waters
Pure as it can be

Imaginary lines
Drifting on my mind
Lighten up the burden inside
Wait until tomorrow
Soon the sun will rise
We'll be together in time

Maine sighed contentedly, capturing this moment in a photo. After the hurdles they've been through; her sterility scare as a result of endometriosis, the premature birthing, and leaving the twins in the hospital when it was time for them to go home, Maine was glad they reached this perfect moment. She would never trade anything, not even the hard times, for they helped make this moment the sweetest, happiest highlight of motherhood for her....... seeing her loving husband doting on their healthy twins.

When the twins have settled and gotten used to their new environment, Alden laid both of them in one crib, imagining that they probably got used to being with each other and should never be apart. And then, right after he put them down, another perfect moment happened. Athena and Siegfried held hands.

Photo Credit : http://www

Photo Credit : http://www.parents.com/baby/all-about-babies/twins-beat-150000-to-1-odds-of-babies-being-born-the-same-day/