Chapter Thirty Five - Miscommunication

Photo Credit : Screen grab from Eat Bulaga FB Livefeed

Our newlyweds are adjusting to married life quite nicely. However, it can't always be rosy, there will always be days that one of them is not in the best of moods. Let's see what will come out of this minor (or is it really?) tiff.

Let me know who you think is at fault. There's a male vs. female element here that is a good topic for debate. It will be interesting to know who you think made the wrong moves. Share your views with me, ok? Enjoy!

Alden woke up in a bad mood. He went home late last night due to a photo shoot for a new endorsement, so late that Maine was already asleep when he arrived. He didn't wake her up anymore and ate a cold dinner alone. Since he still wasn't sleepy, he watched episodes of the latest Game of Thrones season. It was close to 2:00 in the morning by the time he took a shower and slipped into bed to cuddle Maine in his arms and sleep.

He woke up at 7:00 in the morning, too sluggish to workout. He had the beginnings of an ocular migraine, the type of headache that includes vision impairment due to flashes of light. He took a cold shower to wake himself up and got dressed before eating breakfast. Maine was also dressed, setting the breakfast table with bowls of oatmeal, fruits and coffee.

"Good morning baby, what time did you get home last night? Sorry ha, I fell asleep kasi ng mga 12:00 na." She kissed him on the cheek. Alden looked at her from head to foot, frowning at her attire.

"Babe, naka-shorts ka na naman. Tapos half shirt pa pang-itaas mo. Diba sabi ko sayo ayaw ko ng ganyan?"

"Babe ang init naman ng panahon, bayaan mo na. Besides sa Broadway naman tayo hindi sa remote location."

"Hindi yun ang point eh. Nung sinabi mong tumigil na ko magskinny jeans diba tumigil ako? Bakit ako hindi mo marespect yung gusto ko?" He stood up and gulped down his coffee, got his things and went out to the van.

What's eating him? Maine wondered why Alden was in a bad mood. She went back to the room to change her shirt. It was really hot so she retained the shorts and just changed into a longer shirt. She cleared the table and followed Alden to the van, opting to avoid conversing with him. But she found him already asleep in the van, with his shades on.

They arrived in Broadway within an hour, still not talking. Alden went straight to Jenny to get his script for the day's segments and retreated to the pantry to study his lines. Maine greeted the lady dabarkads first, chatting for a while before getting her script.

"Maine, san si Alden?" Pia asked.

"Ay naku nandyan sa pantry parang may sumpong. Masama ata gising eh. Saka ayaw yung suot ko."

"Nagpalit ka ba?"

"Shirt lang, haha. Half shirt ito kanina."

"Hala ka Meng, pareho tayo. Si Steve din minsan ayaw yung suot ko pero di ko pa rin pinapalitan, hahahaha." They high-fived each other and laughed.

Maine went to the dressing room for hair and make-up, chatting with Pauleen. They were handling the same segment for today, running through their spiels and just plain catching up on each other since Pauleen just got back from a trip with her husband Vic. After getting ready, she went to the pantry to see how Alden was doing.

Alden was in the pantry with Baste on his lap, while Patring was feeding Baste with spoonfuls of his lunch. Alden was laughing out loud at Patring's efforts to make Baste eat, because Baste was busy playing with his matchbox toys.

Ugh. They look like one happy family, Maine thought. Seeing Patring feeding Baste while he was seated on Alden's lap was doing not-so-funny things to her. Why am I so affected eh hindi naman si Alden yung sinusubuan? Kainis ah, parang ang sweet lang nila. Kanina ang sungit sakin tapos ngayon tawang tawa? Aba ano yan Faulkerson? Hmm, restback time, bahala ka diyan pag ako humirit.

When Maine and Pauleen's segment came up, Maine purposely picked a good-looking guy in the audience. There was a lot of teasing and Maine exploited it to the fullest, acting coy and swooning over the guy. The camera was panning to Alden once in a while, showing him struggle with hiding his displeasure. Thankfully the contestant was not doing anything to add fire to the teasing, but Maine's antics wore Alden's patience thin.

She came up to him, smiling, hugged him but got no response. "Uyyy, si babe ko nagseselos na naman," she said, kissing him on the cheek. He stood up to fix his things and did not talk to her.

"Huy Babe, galit ka ba? Joke lang naman yun eh. Ang cute mo kasi pag nagseselos ka eh. Pansinin mo na ko please."

"Gusto mo pansinin kita? O sige papansinin kita. Why do you play with my feelings, Maine? Alam mo namang seloso ako, but you intentionally do those things because you think I'm cute pag nagseselos ako. Talaga ha? Without thinking about how it makes me feel?"

Maine was sorry how her practical joke turned out. He was right, what was she thinking? Her siblings complain about how insensitive she was sometimes when she jokes and now Alden's feelings are hurt. She takes his hand and kisses his cheek again.

"Babe sorry na, sorry na. Ang sungit mo kasi sakin eh, tapos kanina nakita ko tumatawa ka naman nung kasama mo si Patring saka si Baste. Bakit sakin masungit ka?"

"Patring na naman, don't tell me nagseselos ka? I wasn't doing anything wrong with her."

"Wala naman akong sinabi ha, ang sabi ko lang bakit nung kasama mo siya di ka naman masungit."

Maine walked off without hearing him out. Alden did not follow her but felt guilty as well about snapping at her. He decided not to follow her thinking their misunderstanding might escalate into a major quarrel.

He finished his segment with Ryan and changed into a fresh shirt. He looked around for Maine but could not find her. He looked everywhere, tried calling her but she rejected his calls. He called Mama Ten, hoping Maine left a message on her whereabouts.

"Mama Ten, san po si Maine?"

"Ay nakita ko kanina paalis. Mauuna na daw siya."

"Mauuna saan? Uuwi na siya?"

"Ay ewan ko, di niya sinabi kung san siya pupunta."

"Ma naman, di mo tinanong?"

"Eh malay ko ba na dapat ko tanungin? Tawagan mo na lang."

He took his things and left Broadway, hoping Maine would be home, but he arrived at an empty house with no sign of Maine.