Feelings

PETER
*******

I climb the spiral staircase once again, Sure, it may be a pain at first, but you get used to it. Plus, it's worth it, because I get to see her. I see her door at the very top, surrounded by guards as usual, and I know she's right on the other side. I knock on the door three before saying, "I'm coming in," And walking into Marigold's room.

"Good morning," I greet her with a smile. She was sitting on the bed, reading a book I got her. She mumbled something, probably a greeting, while still reading her book.

I come in and sit down next to her. I watched as she finished the page she was reading, folded a crest in the book, closed it, looked at me, and smiled. A bright smile. I felt my heart beat a little faster.

"How are you doing?" I asked, trying to make conversation. Of course, she'd be bored out of her mind in this room. I would be too, but I ask anyways.

"Bored, tired, sleepy, let me out," She tells me in a monotone. I laugh at her, making her smile, then laugh herself. It was so obvious that she would say that. And it's funny how she was so predictable.

"Do you want any more books keeping you company?" I ask her again. She seems to like the books I give her. At first, she refused, still pouting because of me, but gradually started reading them. Now, I always come in to see that.

As expected, I have great taste in books after all!

"No," She simply replies to my question, and starts rolling over on her stomach. "Or rather, I want to keep Erin and my citizens company," She tells me, putting on a little smile. "Could I pretty please go?" She begs.

"You know the answer by now," I tell her.

"Yes?"

"Of course not!"

She sighs, expecting this answer. She buries her face on a nearby pillow and moans loudly. "You know I can't let you go with that curse still on you," I tell her.

"I don't love Erin," She replies, all the same. "I don't have a love spell put on me,"

I smile at her when she looks up. But instead of smiling back like usual, she saddens. Because she knows I'm not giving a real smile right now.

I sigh a little. During these past few weeks, she's gotten to know me a little too well. "You know, I've given up on the fact that you'll love me back," I tell her, a little quieter.

I really do love her. I really truly do. But I have a feeling that even if the spell is broken, she won't come to love me.

"Sorry, but I've never loved you in the first place," She tells me.

I smile a little, expecting this answer. But I'm pretty sure I wasn't able to hide the sadness in my face. "I'm sorry," She says again.

"I know," I tell her.

"Are you sorry you fell in love with a weirdo like me?" She asks.

I interpret what she means. Climbing a tower, bringing her here, food, shelter, all for her. She was a bit whiny, and a spoiled princess to take care of. Plus, I have my daily life as prince of Tiza. How could I revolve all this around my love for Princess Marigold? Was it really worth it to fall in love with her?

"No," I tell her, flopping my head on a pillow next to her. She stares at me as I give her a sad smile. "I don't regret a single thing,"

And that's the truth.

I didn't regret my love for her. I didn't regret falling in love with the girl who loves every single citizen. The girl who is spirited. Who wouldn't give up no matter how many times she's been let down. The one who cares more about others then herself. The one I've fallen in love with.

"In any case," I say, sitting up again. "I'm going to try my best to break the spell. Before you say anything," I say because she opened her mouth. "You say you didn't love him before, and since it looks like you love him now, we should just try to be sure,"

"But I don't love him," She tells me. But I see the uncertainty in her eyes. I know that she herself doesn't know her own feelings.

"Sure you don't," I say, teasing her.

It hurts.

At points like this, it hurts to be near her. Knowing she loves another. Knowing that a spell might not have been used. In fact, I know that a spell isn't being used.

At first, I was truly suspicious.  But now, looking at the two who are trying desperately to , I can conclude that there's no spell.

I'm lying to myself, lying to others.  I told her there's a spell because I want hope. Just a small glimmer of hope that she'll come to love me back.

I get off the bed and stand up, facing her. I look at her. Straight at her. She stares back at me, confused to why I look so serious. I lean over so her face is right in front of mine, then smile once more.

I know she will sadden again, because this isn't my true smile, and she knows it. But at this point, all I can do is fake. Everything. It's all I've been doing after all.

"I'm serious," Marigold says. "Erin would never do that to me! Would he?" She asks, suddenly feeling unsure from what I told her.

I can't answer her.

"Hey, Marigold," I whisper in her ear softly so she can hear me. "If there is a spell, and it comes to break, I hope there's a small chance the one you will come to love can be me,"

But deep inside, I know that's not possible.

And I walk away, towards the door without another word. I feel her confused glance looking at me. I peek through a crack in the door as I start to close it. She sits there, on the bed, looking speechless and shocked like I expected. I close the door quietly, absorbing that face in my mind. I know her a little too well too.

She wants to help me somehow. Hoping she can heal the pain of a broken heart. But I don't want her sympathy. Deep inside, she doesn't love me, but wants to anyways to help me. Even if it means having her by my side, I don't want those fake feelings.

I don't want to fake anymore either. I am the young prince of Tiza, and I need to behave as one.