Chapter 8(Revised)

"Cane, if I didn't know better I would say that you were trying to bore holes in Tyson," Guy comments as the two insert medicine in the sheep's mouth alongside one another as the shearers use clippers to take the wool off.

The tarp over head waves in the wind and the shearers engines make a grinding noise. Momma ewes call to their lambs through the fence and the Mexican men talk in Spanish. All the noises blend together to make the sound of peace or chaos depending how one looks at it.

"What do you want to me to do? Bow down in front of the guy and eat from his palms?" Cane roars glaring at the fellow hand.

Guy shakes his head. Hes known Cane a number of years and has learned to let his anger roll off like water on a ducks back. "No, but you don't have to try and kill him with a stare. If I recall correctly your sister is twenty and can take care of herself."

"Maybe so, but I don't intend to let her." Cane's humph implies that he is done discussing it, but Guy pushes the bait aside.

"Cane, what happens when she decides that she is bumping you to the curb and gets her own place by herself? You may only be her brother, but you still have to let go and let her make her own decisions." There is more he can and wants to say, but doesnt. Instead he steps from the post he had been leaning on and drenches the older ewe one of the shearers just started on.

"I have."

Guy glares at Cane, but leaves the topic alone. His gaze wanders across the burlap 'wall' to where Jaelyn laughs at something Tyson had said.

***

"Jae sweet do you care to go riding this evening if it isn't too late?" Tyson asks in a terrible British accent. Jaelyn looks at him and bursts out laughing. "Is my face really that funny?"

"No! But your horrid accent is." She gasps for air.

He laughs himself. "Breathe Jae Sweet."

"How can you make that bad of a British accent?"

He shrugs with a amused smile before drenching a ewe that the shearer had just started on.

Shaking her head Jaelyn glances over to where Cane is working. His expression is hard and his knuckles are turning white due to holding the drench bottle too tight. His anger is apparent to her making her anger level rise.

"You never answ- Whoa and calm down." Tyson grabs her shoulder.

"I am about to blow a fuse," she growls her gaze never leaving her brother.

He takes a breath more for her than for himself. "I can tell that. Who? What? Why?"

That comment draws her gaze to him where it turns into a glare. "You are starting to sound like my brothers and I will not have it."

"Calm down Jae Sweet." He chuckles and places his hand on the small of her back.

Still looking across the way she narrows her eyes. "But, but he, oh never mind."

"No, what are you talking about?" He questions his voice calm, understanding, and gentle.

Slowly she tears her gaze away "Cane. He shouldn't be mad at you."

Tyson uses his free hand to tip her chin so she is staring back into his eyes. "Or you."

He is about to kiss her when a ewe runs beside him. The sheep is about through the burlap sacks put up so the sheep wouldn't go from one side to the other when he catches her around the neck. He spins the ewe around so that she goes in the right direction, hopefully.