Chapter 7

When I arrived at the Northern gate, hastily strapping on my armor and adjusting my chainmail, the battalion was already gone. The gate was still open to the outside, the ground around it torn up and muddied from the three dozen horses that had sprinted through. I cursed loudly. Why were the Norns so determined to weave such rotten luck into my fortune?

I stomped over to a nearby stablehand sweeping the stalls. He tried very hard to ignore me at first, but eventually he was forced to set aside his broom and look up.

"When did they leave?" I demanded.

"You only just missed them, my lady," He said. "The men will certainly take care of the troll, Princess. Perhaps you should return to your chambers and-"

"Saddle my horse," I snapped impatiently. Like all the servants, this one was under father's control. Of course he would deter me from leaving.

"My lady, the battalion has taken all of the fresh horses already-"

"Did I say a fresh horse?" I retorted. I was gritting my teeth once again. My jaw was definitely going to ache tomorrow. I casually drew a knife from my belt and began to spin it across my knuckles like a child spins a top, watching the man's hands tighten on his broom. "I won't repeat myself."

The stablehand gulped and disappeared into the stalls without another word.

A minute later he reemerged leading Tan by the reins, already saddled and ready to ride. When the time had come for me to learn horseback riding, father had given me my own horse as a gift. He was a beautiful colt with long, sturdy legs, mottled gray hair, and a shaggy silver mane. And, of course, he was huge, tall and strong enough to carry even someone my size a great distance astride his back. If he ever came face to face with a bear, I truly couldn't be certain which animal would win.

Father had already named him: Tanngnjóstr, after the proud beast that pulled Thor's golden chariot. A long and stuffy old name, just like my own. At that age, I could barely even spell out the runes for it, and so I'd shortened the name to Tan. He seemed to be fond of his nickname, at least. We had that in common.

Tan snorted impatiently, and I lifted myself onto his back. I pulled harshly on the reins, causing him to rear back with a whinny before galloping through the gate at break neck speed.

Outside the castle, it was all forest as far as the eye could see, which wasn't much considering the gray, soupy sky and the low mist that hung in midair, obscuring my vision. I followed the battalion's tracks as best I could, leading Tan along the trail of footprints in the dirt. It seemed that they'd followed the main roadway leading away from the castle.

Soon, however, the tracks split into many different paths. This must have been where they'd separated to search for the troll. I hadn't really thought about the fact that finding the creature might be difficult- after all, how do you miss a huge monster lumbering through your woods? But in this weather, spotting the troll before it spotted you would be difficult. It could be anywhere, watching you from just beyond the mist, waiting for the perfect moment to strike...

I urged Tan along the tracks of one of the smaller groups, peering warily around me. I jumped in panic as I felt something on my shoulder, only to realize that it was just a drop of rain. A light drizzle began, just enough to make the ground slippery and mask any low sounds. The troll would have the same disadvantages in a fight, but still, I didn't like it one bit.

Why in the nine realms would Ingrid go to seek out the troll? I tried to puzzle out an answer in my mind, but I couldn't conjure up anything that made sense. I focused on my anger at her, how I'd give her a good talking to when I did find her. It distracted me from the fear.