Chapter 3 - Reunited

Chapter 3

"It is you!" I rejoiced, running up to my friend giving him a big bear hug "What happened?"

A scraggly beard had replaced his once clean shaven face I remembered, and he now towered above me, standing just shy of 200cm in height. It had been over a year now since I had last laid eyes on him, one of my closest mates. And now here he was, right when I needed him. He seemed to have not only grown in stature but had toned up also. He had always loved fitness, like myself, but this was a big transformation. We had always had this little dream, when we were kid's that when we had finished school we'd start our own gym together. But after finishing school last year I was pressured by my oppressive father to serve my country, Brad had thought about following suit but, stayed home to take over the family business. Brad's father had fallen gravely ill around the time I had departed for overseas.

"Everything's turned to shit, that's what's happened" He said bluntly, "Last night there was an air raid, the radio broadcast reported terrorist attacks were taking place all over the globe." "I saw it happen, I was out last night fox hunting, when a massive wave of Jets passed over the house, and kept flying, straight for Warrnambool." He looked drained of emotion, as if fatigue had consumed his body. "I sent you a text warning you not to come, why are you here?" His tone uneasy.

"I did get your text" I replied pausing "It was too late though." "I thought the best place to hold up would be your's, so I came on foot because the bridge had been blocked, have you had any incidents?" I asked worried.

He scratched his coarse beard. Brad liked to live tough, an inner quality his father would demand from his son. Vince's parenting could never be questioned, he was as tough as nails but his hard work as a builder over the years had ensured his family a life of luxury to enjoy. He was a role model to me, a father figure in my life that was always there for me, unlike my father, I hope he was okay.

"No, nothing here the bombing only took place in the cities, looks like we're safe here for now" He reported.

Well that's good news I thought, "Thank's for saving me back there by the way" I laughed, feeling a lot safer then I was a few hour's ago.

"You're lucky I heard you, I was out hunting myself, I've gotta feed mouths we've got the whole school gang back home they all bolted here just like you." "Anyway, so I heard someone scream and just got here in time by the looks of things, lucky I'm a good shot" he bragged.

"Wait, is Josh back at yours? I asked excitedly "I got a text from him too!" 

Josh O'Connor, Brad and I go way back to all living on the same neighbourhood street since we were eight years old, we were inseparable. Josh was always the joker of the trio, he never took anything seriously. He stood shy of six foot with a solid build and a big boofhead. At times arrogant and irritating but deep down he was an intelligent, funny and loyal friend who I would do anything for. 

"Yes but" he paused "He's unstable." 

"How? I demanded. 

"His family didn't escape the city, he watched them die" said Brad gently before looking away "He watched them turn, into those things." "He doesn't eat, he won't talk, he's just gone blank." 

"Are you worried?" 

Before Brad could answer we were disturbed by a crackling then a voice, It sounded familiar.

"That'd be the walky talky" Brad said gesturing towards the car.

"Brad! Brad! answer me please!" the voice pled loudly.

Hurriedly I grabbed the walky talky and yelled back "Is that you Emma?" 

"Oh my god Luke you're alive! Yes it's me, just put Brad on!" She stressed.

I passed the talky to Brad, he looked terrified.

"What is it? Is my dad okay?" He yelled, his voice cracking.

The sound of sobbing filled the air, we tensed.

"Emma!" he bellowed, veins bulging from his neck "What is it?" 

"Josh shot Vince."