Chapter 23

She sighed and let her eyes close briefly as she rocked in the mahogany chair in her baby's room. When she opened them, she smiled and look out over the nursery.

Three walls were painted a soft gray, and the fourth was the same gray with different sized yellow polka dots. Across the middle of the wall, silhouettes were painted in black, telling the story of how the Thief and the Queen met and fell in love, and of how their daughter came to be.

The mahogany crib was against that wall, just under the storyline, the mobile made by her daughters floating gracefully above it. Under the window on the back was was the dresser/changing table, made from the same wood as the crib. Black curtains hung over the window, with gray and yellow polka dots lining the bottom few inches of the fabric. The closet was on the wall opposite the accent wall, and in it was a bookcase that would soon be full of books. There was also a small basket on top of it that would hold the baby's toys.

On the same wall hung pictures of their family framed in black. First Henry and Roland, then Emilia and Evelyn, then the most recent sonogram of the baby, and finally Robin and Regina prior to her pregnancy.

It was a beautiful room and Regina couldn't have been happier with how it turned out. Grace and the girls had helped a lot, and she planned to get them each a thank you gift when she could find the time.

There was a soft knock at the door that pulled her away from her thoughts, and she turned her head to see Granny standing there. She smiled as the older woman stepped into the room.

“I thought I might be able to find you here,” she said. “I know you're not much for big events centered around you.”

Regina chuckled, “it was very thoughtful of the girls to throw me a surprise baby shower, but I'd have much rather just spent the day with my family.”

Granny nodded.

“Well, I had a gift for you, but I wanted to give it to you in private,” she said, handing the bag to Regina.

She pulled out the tissue paper and reached her hand into the bag, extracting the gift. A hand-knitted white baby blanket, with the baby's name embroidered on it in lavender yarn.

“How did you know her-”

“Robin told me. He also mentioned you were waiting to tell anyone until after she's born, so I waited to give it to you until now.”

“Oh, Granny… I love it, thank you so much!” She said, pushing herself up so she could hug the older woman.

“You're very welcome, Regina,” Granny replied, making to leave the room.

“Wait, Granny?”

She turned around.

“Would you maybe… Want to be her grandmother? I just, I don't think my mother really wants to be considered her grandmother. She's more like a great aunt…”

“I'd absolutely love to, Regina,” she said and walked out of the room.

Not a minute later, Robin walked in.

“I figured you'd be up here,” he chuckled. “People are starting to look for you. I think they're getting ready to leave.”

“Okay, I'll start heading down there. I'm going to put this blanket Granny made the baby in our room first.”

He kissed her cheek and watched as she entered the master suite, then exited and shut the door behind her. He took her hand and they walked down the stairs together to thank their guests.