Throwing Pebbles

I spent the whole day finishing a book that I started on the ride up to the island. I know I'm at the beach, but the chapter I ended on was a cliff hanger. Then I ended up just reading all day. But at least I finished it. And I've only been here a few days, so really I have all summer to spend time outside.

  I smile as I think of what Ryder said. Maybe we could hang out some then. I've been thinking back to what he said all day. And he's so dang cute.

"Rileigh! Come get some food!" I snap out of my thoughts and sit up from my bed. I walk down to the kitchen and grab my plate from the counter and sit at the table across from mom.

"What have you been doing all day up in your room?" She said looking up from her plate and smiling. "Finishing that book that I started reading on the way up. It was really good." I told her. "Oh yeah?" She replies. After a short silence, she speaks up again, "So.. About yesterday. When you ran down the stairs crying? You never explained what happened." She said kind of awkwardly, probably unsure if it would be a sensitive topic to bring up. "Oh. That." I said. "Well, I dropped my ring off the balcony.." I told her. Her eyes got wide and she started looking down my arms, trying to see my hands which were under the table. "Mom it's okay, I found it." I said, lifting my hand, showing her the ring. She let out a breath of relief. "What if you wouldn't have found it?" She said, with a scolding voice. "I know, mom. It was an accident. But I found it." I said, looking down and playing with my food. "Your dad gave you that ring.." Mom said quietly. "I know!" I yelled. It was silent for a moment. I let a breath out. "I know." I said in almost a whisper. My mom's facial expression was somewhere between shocked, and upset. "Sorry." I said while looking at my plate and scooting my food around with my fork. "No it's okay, honey. I didn't mean to make you feel bad about it. I'm sure you didn't mean to. I just want you to be careful, that's all." She said. I looked up at her and smiled, "I will." I told her. She smiled back, "I love you, baby." She said lovingly. "I love you too, momma." I replied.

After dinner, I went ahead to my room to take a shower and get ready for bed. I took a quick shower and did my usual night time routine, then just laid down in my bed. Thinking about the whole day. It's been a long one. I close my eyes and drift off..

***

I wake up at around 8:30 to see the sun shining brightly through my glass balcony doors. I stand up from my bed and stretch my arms out above my head. Then I walk over to my sliding door, and put my hand on the glass, looking out. Another beautiful day. Sunny, as usual. I can never get enough of this amazing place.

   I decide on going for a walk. I wonder if Ryder has plans today..? I go over to my closet and get dressed. Then I walk to my bathroom and look at my hair in the mirror. It's naturally wavy so I think it looks alright. I just leave it how it is. I throw on some foundation, concealer, and mascara, and walk out of my room. I walk down to the 2nd floor to see if mom's up. She's not so I decide to gently wake her just to tell her that I was planning on going on a walk, as I know she'll freak out if I'm gone when she wakes up.

"Mom." I said quietly, shaking her gently. She groans and slowly opens her eyes. "I'm gonna go for a walk, okay? I have my phone with me if you need to get ahold of me." I tell her. "Alright." She said before rolling over and going back to sleep.

I walk out of her room and down the stairs. I walk outside and breath in the fresh warm air. I think I wanna hang out with Ryder, but I don't know how to even ask him. I don't even know if he's awake. I just stand there in my driveway thinking for a minute. Should I ask him? I really don't wanna go for a walk alone.. You know what? I should just do it. Yeah! I'm gonna ask him. Wait but how? ...I could knock on their door.. No that's weird. I could climb to his balcony. Hahahah no Rileigh, you freak. I look up and down the big 3 story house. Well I know that the 3rd floor balcony is his.

I walk over to the back of our houses which are facing the beach. I look around on the ground and see thick sand that just looks like a bunch of pebbles. Hmm.. I pick up a pebble from the sand as I got an idea. But is it a good idea is the question. I roll it around in my hand before deciding to just go for it. It's Summer!

  I threw the pebble at the glass sliding doors on the 3rd floor. I laugh at myself as I probably seem a little crazy. I squat down and pick up a handful of pebbles from the sand.

I start throwing them, but not hard enough to do any damage. Just enough to make a tapping noise. C'mon Ryder. I glue my eyes to the glass doors as I continue throwing the pebbles. The curtains open and I see Ryder, rubbing his eyes. I stop throwing the pebbles and I drop them to the ground. He's wearing red and black pajama pants, and he's shirtless. And boy, is he sculpted. His hair is a little messy, but it's cute. I giggle in excitement, wondering if he'll think I've gone mad. He slides the doors open, and walks out to his balcony. He looks down and smiles at me. "Hey." He said, still smiling. "Hey." I reply, smiling like an idiot. "Did I wake you?" I asked. "No. I was just about to get out of bed and I heard the tapping." He said and laughed. I laughed too. "I know I probably seem a little crazy, but I was about to go on a walk and I was wondering if maybe you'd want to go?" I asked, hoping that I don't sound desperate or stalkerish.

He smiled down at me, making me melt inside. His smile is so wide that his eyes shut a little, and his teeth just shine perfectly. How could you look at him while he's smiling and not smile back? It's so contagious.

"Sure." He said, causing my heart to beat a little faster. "Let me get dressed and I'll be down in a minute." "Okay." I replied. He walked inside and slid the door shut. I walked back over to my porch and sat on the steps to wait.