Escape

I had stayed up all night pacing in aticipation of the next day. Soon, we would be away from this nightmare called Asgard. Away from the past. Of course, I could never escape the past for good. It is impossible to completely escape your past. If only it were possible...

It was noon before Thor showed up at my door, his things packed, but I could tell that he was not ready to leave. It almost made me laugh a bit. Sentiment.

"Ready?" I asked him, making sure he had everything he wanted and that he was still coming.

"Ready," he answered, his eyes showing the sentiment he felt.

"Good," I said, walking past him into the hall. "Come on."

He did not move, but instead asked, "Loki, are you sure you want to do this? Leave, I mean.."

I stopped walking, but did not turn around. "Thor, I am leaving. Whether you come with me or not is your choice, but... I'm leaving."

"Okay," he said, his voice gentle. "Just making sure..." And we both began walking again.

When he caught up with me, I informed him that he would have to shield himself from Heimdal's gaze, and gave him instruction on how to do so. After that, we were silent. An endless silence that killed me, like any other silence, but worse. So, I began to hum that familiar tune again. I could hear mother singing it to us, her melodic voice echoing through my mind. Thor spoke, and she vanished.

"How will we leave without anyone knowing? The Bifrost is broken, and Heimdal controls it anyways.." Thor pointed out.

I did not respond, only kept walking until I stood on the broken edge of the Bifrost, staring into the abyss. The abyss that had started all my pain and lead me to Thanos... No. It had not started my pain. Asgard had. The abyss was my escape.

"Loki, we are not doing this!" Thor exclaimed pulling me a few feet from the edge.

"It is the only way, Thor," I said, my voice calm. I was just as calm as my voice made me sound. Why was I calm? I could very well be looking death in the face, torture, even.... But I was calm.

"Okay, say we do jump, Loki. Then what?" asked Thor, clearly much more concerned than I was. "How do we know where we will end up?"

In that moment I grabbed his free hand and began ranning towards the edge, pulling him along. Just before we jumped, just before darkness surrounded us, I answered his quesion honestly.

"We don't."