"Oh, geez, I forgot about that. Hades and I have guests here and I'm not sure how long they'll be staying."

"Is it Ink? I heard he went to the underworld with Kade to escape Zeus' wrath."

Lexi chuckled. "Is that the rumor?"

"It is no rumor. The whole of Olympus saw the fight. Now, Zeus is trying to force Ink to escort Tara to the after party. She is not very happy about it."

Lexi pursed her lips to hide her amusement. Tara didn't strike her as the type to bring a date to a party, or even go to a party.

"That is the other thing I wanted to talk to you about, Lexi," Odessa continued. "The after party. I was asked to attend with a certain someone and I am not comfortable accepting without a chaperone. I was hoping you could join us."

"Who asked you?"

Odessa threw a quick glance over her shoulder before providing her hushed answer. "Poseidon."

Lexi gasped then choked, making a terrible recovery with a large swallow. "Wow. That is unexpected news."

"Yes, and I am sure everyone in Olympus would be in agreement if they knew of his request, but he has made his interest known to me. I won a silver medal at yesterday's five hundred meter run, and he waited until I left the locker room to congratulate me and walk me home. He is quite engaging and knows a great deal about the mortal world. The sky was dark by the time we made it to my door. My roommates did not hold back their opinions about my tardiness. They think I am betraying them."

Lexi took a moment to wrap her head around Odessa's confession. Was Poseidon playing her like he had so many other goddesses? Did he see Odessa as a thrilling challenge because she was a virgin? "Do you like Poseidon, Odessa? What is your gut telling you?"

"I have had some difficulty reading my gut about this. Of course, I have considered the fact that he may be trying to break down my defenses so he can deflower me then toss me in the compost. Next to Zeus, Poseidon has the worst reputation in Olympus. No offense."

"None taken."

"Still, my less judgmental self believes he is being sincere."

"What makes you think he's being sincere? Was it something he said or did?'

"Well, he was adamant about keeping our friendship platonic, and he assured me he would behave like a gentleman at the party. He wants me to enjoy myself without worrying about being groped."

A snort of laughter echoed from the bathroom, and Lexi glanced over at Hades. He stood naked in the door frame drying his hair with a towel. After Lexi was momentarily distracted by his divinely-endowed body, she brought her finger to her lips to shush him.

"Well, if you think Poseidon has the ability to make good on his word, why do you need a chaperone?" Lexi asked.

"Because it is what a chaste goddess would do, and you are the only goddess I know who won't judge me about the impropriety. I have always kept my distance from the gods to avoid temptation, and I am truly unprepared for a step of this magnitude. Poseidon is an Olympian, after all, and terribly handsome. He is the first god to have me doubt my decision to take the oath of chastity." She lowered her gaze and looked up through her lashes. "I wish I could find a god like yours, Lexi. Someone who is willing to pledge his devotion to me and only me for all eternity. Please, say you will come. We can talk about the new council if that will help justify the trip."

Lexi weighed the consequences of agreeing to Odessa's request. Not only did she have to consider the impact her decision would have on Odessa, but she had to think of Hades. He brooded when she left home without him. Why did all her decisions have to seem so daunting?

"Go, Lexi." Hades said as he arranged the towel around his waist and walked into the bedroom. "Your counsel could help Odessa avoid a poor choice she may regret the rest of her days."

Hades was right. Lexi was no expert on men, but she had been fooled by Poseidon and knew how he operated. "Okay, Odessa. I'll go to the party with you, but I may not be able to make it to your meet."

"That's fine. I will see you at the palace of the gods, then. You really are as benevolent as they say. I better go before Tara hears us and ties me to a bedpost to save my virtue."

Odessa offered her sweet godly smile as she tapped the mirror and disappeared behind the cloudy glass. Meanwhile, Hades shook his head as he made for the wardrobe.

"I have warned you before. You are going to declare yourself an enemy of the gods," he said.

"I thought I already did that when I swore my unwavering loyalty to the ruler of the underworld."

Hades barely had time to turn around before she rushed him, planting a powerful kiss on his mouth as her robe fell open.