Chapter 3 ~ Chased by Dead People

Cautiously, I watched him move around the campfire, collecting his things. His gun was still held tightly in his hand as he did. I had to be careful with this guy. He wasn't like the other Wolves. No, he was more dangerous than them. Them, I could have taken.

But not him. He was different. He would shoot me if I just got on his nerves. There was something very sociopathic about him. Something sinister in his eyes that I couldn't quite put my finger on. And I did not want to get on this guy's bad side.

His dark hair fell in his face as he stamped out the dwindling fire with his foot and slung the duffel bag over his shoulder. He gestured with the gun for me to move and I walked ahead of him. We traipsed through the forest, trying to avoid as many walkers as possible. The entire time, my heart beat wildly in my chest. I had no idea where he was leading me. For all I knew, he could be leading me to my death.

Or leading me back to the other Wolves, which of course also spelled death. Night was falling fast by the time the forest finally opened up into a small abandoned town. It was over-run with walkers from the looks of it. Their moans filled our ears as we got closer. The Wolf shoved the gun into my back and led me down a small alley. We tried to be as quiet as possible, our footsteps surprisingly silent on the gravel.

I rested my back against the wall and he did the same. Slowly, he peeked his head around the corner to survey how many we were up against. I heard him curse briefly before turning back to face me.

"There's too many of them...isn't there?" I asked, fear lacing my voice.

I wasn't afraid of them. I didn't fear the walking dead. But that many of them, coming at you from all sides...Well, I didn't ever want to feel fear like that again. The day my mother died, I vowed I'd never let myself get put in a position like that again. And now here I was, back in the same mess as before.

Only this time, instead of having someone I trusted fighting alongside me, it was a stranger. And a dangerous one at that. I didn't trust him at all. But he was all I had for protection against these things. His brown eyes glittered in the darkness, the moonlight lighting up his jawline. Wait, why did I just think that?!

I shook the thought away as he nodded, answering my question.

"Go straight up those stairs," he said, pointing across the street at an old firehouse with steps leading up the side of it, And do not stop,"

"What?! By myself? Are you insane?" I asked, alarmed at the prospect of trudging through a bunch of dead corpses on my own.

He rolled his eyes, "I'll be right behind you. But I can't have you running away on me, now can I?"

Hesitantly, I nodded. I understood his motive but still I can't stand the sight of them, crowding around on the street like that. My heart beat faster in my chest and my breathing became shallow.

"I can't-I can't do this. Not again, not again, I just can't-" I said, anxiety filling my voice as I began to panic.

The walkers began to get a bit anxious, moving around more as I started to hyperventilate. The Alpha Wolf looked at me and grabbed me by the shoulders.

"Hey, hey, look at me, look at me!" he said, his dirty fingers slipped underneath my chin, forcing me to look him in the eyes, "You can do this! I won't let you die out there. Not like that."

Slowly, I took a deep breath before nodding my head fervently. He was right. I could do this. As long as we were fast, there would be no problems. Besides, he had to keep me alive. What good would I be to him dead?

Suddenly, he pushed me in front of him and we ran out into the street. The foul odors of dead flesh hung in the air as some of the started to notice us. A few of them broke away from the crowd as we ran, limping after us. He pulled out a knife from his pocket and grabbed onto one of them, stabbing it in its soft skull. I raced away ahead of him, making a mad dash for the stairs. I was so close I could taste it.

That was when one of them gripped onto me. I shrieked loudly as I struggled to get away. Its cold, dead fingers pulled at my clothes, trying to get a bite of my flesh. Suddenly, the Wolf came up behind it and drove the knife into its brain. His dark eyes met mine and I nodded in thanks as we ran up the steps. The walkers swarmed the stairs as we flew up them.

He yanked the door open and I ran inside. Once he was in, he looked around the room. I spotted some two-by-fours laying on the ground and I heaved them up, handing them to him. Hastily, he barred the door, sliding the wood in between the door handles. He leaned up against one of the brick walls then and breathed out a sigh of relief. Those dark brown eyes landed on me then and he smirked.

"Told you we could do it."