Chapter 22: The Beginning

Mulai dari awal

Her and I need to have a long talk.

Divergent.

That word bounces around in my head, shaking me up. I thought I was normal, that I was like everyone else. My divergence didn't help me with stage one, but without it in stage two and three I wouldn't have been ranked first. I wouldn't have been offered a leadership position.

I wouldn't have basically signed my life away by accepting said leadership position.

For a whole four weeks someone has known about this and not told me. For about three weeks Tobias has known and not told me. If Tobias knows, then Tris must know. Why didn't she say anything? I thought she was my friend?

I thought she was my sister?

I fight back the feeling to cry. I won't do it here. I'm done. If I want to cry, then I'll do it like an adult.

I'll go on the train for three hours at night alone and cry where no one can see or hear me.

I'm about to head up the stairs when I hear my name being called. Turning around I see Uriah waving his arms dramatically at me, Will standing beside him looking uncomfortable.

I roll my eyes and walk over to him. What does he want?

He smiles when I near him. "We're doing it in two minutes."

I frown. "What? What do y-"

Oh. Right. The falling off the roof thing.

I sigh and look down at my feet. "Uriah, I'm not really feeling it-"

"Oh no," he smiles, slapping me on the arm, "you're doing it. Or else you automatically forfeit, and I win. That means you get a tattoo picked by me, and I'll make it huge."

"Uriah!"

He shakes his head. "Nope. We're leaving now. Eric will be there soon."

Cold water floods through my veins.

Eric. Leader. Divergent.

Kill.

"No, Uriah, I'm not doing it-"

He's already walking away, Will trailing behind him. "Yes you are. Don't make us carry you up."

I feel myself go pale. I can't do this. I just can't.

I turn around to go and run away when I feel someone pick me up around my knees. Uriah turns me around and throws me over his shoulder. I hate being carried like this.

Uriah isn't as tough and muscular as Eric, so when I hit him on the back, he actually flinches. "Hey, cut it out!"

"Put me down, asshole!" I seethe at him. He starts to carry me up the stairs leading to the roof.

"Uh-uh, I'm not getting a tattoo from you honey."

How am I supposed to tell him I don't want to see Eric because I recently found out I was divergent and if Eric finds out then he'll kill me?

I let out a frustrated groan into Uriah's shirt. He opens a door and from the breeze I feel I can tell we're on top of the roof. He finally sets me onto my feet and when I try to run again he wraps an arm around my waist and drags me over to the ledge. I feel my heart jump into my throat, threatening to choke me.

"You know the plan?" He says to Will.

Will looks down at me and sees the fear in my eyes. "I don't know. I really don't think she wants to do this Uriah."