Coincidences

Nova sighed as she put her phone back down on the counter as the boys entered the room.

"So, guys, please don't kill me but-" Nova stopped when she realized Luke wasn't with them. "Where's Luke?"

Nova had a sudden intake of breath as Calum pointed behind her. 

"How much did you hear?" She silently cursed herself.

"Every word," Luke smiled.

"God," Nova collapsed onto the bed. "You probably think I'm a bad person now."

"Actually, I think that you're more amazing. There's no way that I could've forgiven someone like that."

Nova shot up, looking at Luke. "You...what?"

"What's even happening here?" Ashton said, obviously confused.

"I sort of.. uh... forgave Dan... and told him that we can be friends," Nova cringed.

"Doesn't concern me," Michael said, sitting down on his bed. 

"Me neither," Ashton shrugged.

"Did you tell him not into butt into your relationships?" Calum asked.

"I did. I told him I was happy and that if he's going to continue to like me, he can't be my friend," Nova nodded.

"Good. That's good you cleared that up," Calum nodded back. Luke set his hands on Nova's shoulders gently.

Nova sighed, and for a brief moment, was filled was relief. Maybe things weren't so horrible for her after all. Maybe, just maybe.

****

Three days later, Dan went back to the same park. It was his happy spot now. Dan smiled to himself as a girl headed towards him. She had a boxer on a leash. The boxer looked to be heavier than her- it was walking the girl, rather than the girl walking it. Dan grinned to headed over to her.

"Need any help?" He offered as she struggled hanging on to the leash.

"Really?" The girl looked up hopefully.

"Of course," Dan nodded. He couldn't help but notice this girl was the exact opposite of Nova- she had a short bob of blonde hair and bright blue eyes. She had on a short unfancy blue dress that matched the color of her eyes. And in a way, she was better than Nova. At least he had a chance with this girl.

The girl handed her the leash, and he took it, suddenly ripped forward. The dog broke out in a run, hauling Dan behind it. The girl chased after them, screaming. The dog finally jumped up to a tree, and Dan laid the ground. Laughing. He was laughing.

"Are you okay?" The girl fussed and offered him a hand.

"I'm fine," Dan continued laughing as he took her hand.

"Are you sure? Oh, gosh! Your clothes..." The girl fussed, trying to brush the dirt off of Dan's clothes. They were probably going to be permanently stained with the dirt, but it was whatever.

"I'm sure, trust me. I can get the stains out," Dan lied.

"What's your name?" The girl grabbed onto her dogs leash and tied it to a bench leg. Luckily, the bench was cemented to the ground.

"Dan. How about you?"

"Elaine," The girl smiled.

"That's really pretty," Dan suggested.

"Thank you. Do you live around here?"

"Actually, I've been gone from Australia for a quite a while. But yeah, now I do," Dan replied.

"Oh, that's cool! Where did you live while you weren't here?" Elaine sat down on the bench, and Dan sat down beside her.

"New York," Dan responded.

"Oh! Wow! I had a penpal there once," Elaine commented.

"Really? What was their name?"

"I can't seem to remember well, but I'm fairly sure it was Nova Hood."