Chapter 10: It's Time

"It's time to build from the bottom of the pit,
right to the top
don't hold back"

"Audrey! Honey, Nate is outside." My mom says as she enters the house coming from work.

"They are going on a date!" Kay informs her and mom turns to look at me.

"Wow! That's great honey, have fun..."

"Okay. See you when I come home."

"I knew they were more than friends." Mom smugly whispers to Kay.

"I can hear you guys." I tell them as I leave and close the door.

As soon as I'm outside I see Nate standing by the passenger door of his audi. He's wearing jeans, a white v-neck, and black converse. For a minute I think my heart is beating so loud I wonder if he can hear it. Deep breath in and out I remind myself.

While walking towards him, he sends me a smile.

"You look nice." He tells me as he opens the door for me.

"Thanks." I feel my cheeks get warm.

"Where are we going?" I ask him as soon as he gets in the car.

"I was thinking we could go to where we first met."

"The boardwalk? Sounds good. Does that mean everything is free since your going to own it?" I joke.

"The company still needs to do a couple of things before buying it but I actually do have an all access pass to use. Not that I'm trying to be a cheap-skate. I just thought we could have fun playing games and riding the rides."

"I can't wait to beat you on some games."

"We'll see."

"How about we do a rematch of air hockey? Loser pays for dinner."

He looks skeptical but eventually agrees. "Fine and winner picks the place to eat."

"Deal."

The drive and parking is only about 4 minutes since I live close to it. We could have walked but it looks like it might rain.

It's packed with people and kids running around playing games. But it looks pretty since its getting dark outside and the colorful lights are on.

The first place we obviously go to is the arcade.

"Why are you winning? Stop it!" I say about 5 minutes into the game. The score is 5-3.

"I cannot stop my awesomeness." Nate replies.

"Whatever." I roll my eyes. I don't really care if I have to pay for dinner, it's more about pride at this point.

As our match continues I carefully watch his every move looking for an opening to score.

"Yes!" I score 2 back to back making it 5-5. Just 2 more points.

"Not so fast." Right after I put the puck back on the table he scores.

He just needs one more. Okay, I've won before, so I can win again.