Chapter 2: Hear Me

"I said it before, I won't say it again, Love is a game to you, it's not pretend"

"I CAN NOT BELIEVE THIS! WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?! CAN THEY NOT FOLLOW BASIC INSTRUCTIONS?" Aimee screams into her phone. I don't want to know what this is about but I'm sure she will tell me anyway. She seems to be oblivious about how much I dislike her. I'm a nice person but she is just so vapid and superficial that I can't even try to try to fake a friendship with her.

She finally spots me and hangs up. I smile and look away before she goes on a rant on whatever that was about, but alas, it doesn't matter as she starts telling me anyway.

"You can not believe what happened!..." she begins. So apparently very long story short, they spelled her name wrong at Starbucks. Shocker, I know. I mean, even if you have the easiest name in the world, they will find a way to spell it wrong. That's just how it is there. She's all mad because they spelled it "Amy" instead of "Aimee" even though she told the "cute guy" when he took her order. And the person she was yelling at was the manager. Apparently she wanted the guy fired. Extreme? Yes, but that's Aimee for you.

She is still talking but luckily a customer comes in and I offer to help. Aimee looks annoyed that no one is listening to her now so she seems to be furiously texting a friend the horror she went through. She's texting so fast, I think she may break one of her fake nails. I hope its busy all day just so maybe I can pretend she's not here.

A few hours later I sit down to rest my feet. My wish had come true and it was pretty steady. Just as I plan to take a sip of ice cold water Aimee comes to sit next to me on the brown wooden bench outside the store.

Crap.

She looks at me and begins "Guess what? I met someone!"

I want to tell her I don't care but thats to mean so I decide to hear what she wants to say. Even though I've never talked about boys with her. Plus it's not like I have relationship advice or anything.

"Oh, that's good for you.." I start and naturally she begins her story without letting me finish.

"I know right! I met him through our parents. He's really rich! He's like a millionaire. I need to snatch him. I mean even his name sounds fancy. His name is Christopher Kingston. I will do whatever it takes to get him." She looks at me like she has hatched an evil plan.

I feel bad for whoever this guy is. If I were him I would run for the hills. Aimee starts looking at her long blonde hair and mumbles something about needing a haircut then goes back in the store. This whole exchange is just weird. I mean, it's not weird that she gives out too much information, after all she thinks the whole world revolves around her. It's just, I mean how does a normal person respond to what she just said? Do I be supportive and say "yeah you go girl, go be a gold digger?", or be a normal person and tell her she's psycho?

I decide to just ignore what she told me and finish my shift. I don't need drama in my life anyway.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ahh, home sweet home. As soon as I enter the house Kayden or "Kay" as she likes to be called comes and gives me a big hug.

"You're home! I missed you. I can't wait till tomorrow!"

She then proceeds to tell me about her day with Bella our 9 year old neighbor who she has quickly became best friends with. Bella's mom Stephanie is a stay at home mom who babysits Kay for us if mom and I are both working. Her and her husband Josh are really the nicest people I have ever met.

I told Kay that I would take her and Bella to the boardwalk. Mom works tomorrow so we will probably surprise her with a quick visit. Speaking of mom, she comes out of her room and asks me about my day.

"She sounds like a crazy bitch." my mom finally comments after I tell her about what Aimee told me about the new guy in her life. I burst out laughing while Kay scolds us about cursing. My mom and I tend to curse accidently and ironically Kay is the one who lectures us about how we shouldn't say those words. I love my mom and sister, I don't know what I would do without them.

I start to get up to clean the dishes from earlier when we were eating when my phone rings. I check it and read that it's Emma. "Mom, I'll be back to clean these, I'm going to talk to Emma for a little bit." "Okay, tell her I say hi. " my mom replies.

I go to my room and try to answer it before it stops ringing.

"Hello?"

"Audrey! I just called to tell you about the nicest guy ever that I just met. He is so sweet and well cute." She starts to tell me about a guy named Matt she met at the park. As she tells me about their encounter and how she is going on a date with him, I think about how different this conversation is from the one earlier with Aimee. Emma goes on about how sweet Matt is while all Aimee just cared about is that the king- whatever name guy was loaded.

"Now to find you a guy. Don't argue with me, we could even double date." Emma tells me. I stay quiet. Only she and my mom know that I've never had a boyfriend. Yup, I'm twenty one years old and have never been in a relationship. It's not by choice. I mean, I don't think I'm ugly but no guy has ever shown interest in me. Plus when I was in high school the guys I had a crush on never liked me back. Also I'm not a social person so it's not easy for me to meet guys. I literally think I'm going to be forever alone. At least I have my books. Ugh, I sound like a loser.

I proceed to tell Emma my predicament and I can almost hear her roll her eyes through the phone at me before she keeps saying how I will find someone and that I need to stop being dramatic. It's funny to me because I think I was actually not being dramatic enough. Emma is the type who believes everyone will find their soul mate in life. I would like to believe that but find it extremely hard to believe I will ever meet someone. All I need are cats and I could be a crazy cat lady. But I prefer dogs. Ooo, is there crazy dog ladies? Wow, I'm weird.

To stop Emma's ranting on true love and how there are actual good guys out there (um, where? Neverland?), I tell her what Aimee told me at work.

She doesn't sound surprised and then shocks me by saying it makes sense that Aimee is rich, she only cares about finding someone wealthy.

"Wait wait wait, Aimee is rich? Why does she work at the shop then? I'm very confused." It's as if the world tilted on its axis. I mean Aimee has always acted snooty by I thought It was just an act. I didn't think she actually had money. Emma then starts to tell me everything.

Apparently, Aimee's parents Ray and Lisa Caven actually own Kemah boardwalk and several other theme parks. They currently live in Dallas while their 23 year old daughter dearest lives here. Ray is Dan's brother. Yup, my boss Dan. The only reason Aimee works at the shop is because she didn't want to go to college so they told her she had to get a job or get cut off. So she went with puppy eyes to Dan and got the easiest job ever because they let her be lazy. I cannot believe I have lived here 3 months and did not know this. What is life?

"I'm sure she wants to snag this guy so she can have money and not have to work. That way she won't need her parent's money. I mean not that she works, unless texting counts." Emma finishes. We decide to change subjects and start talking about what she should wear on her date with Matt tomorrow night. A couple of minutes later we say goodnight and hang up.

I go to the kitchen and wash the dishes before going to sleep while mom and Kay are watching a "Bones" marathon on tv. As I finish I start to wonder about whether or not Emma is right about this true love stuff.

CHAPTER NOTE: What do you think so far? Next chapter is very interesting as we meet someone new :)