•Chapter Thirty-Nine•

A bloodcurdling scream is heard and it takes me minutes to realise it's me.

"No, Al." I whisper, lifting his shirt making him hiss in pain. The bullet is settled deep inside his stomach, there's no chance we can save him now. I cup his cheeks with both hands and his eyes open a fraction.

"I'm...sorry." Al chokes, his lips quivering, blood pouring from the edges of his mouth. His words bring me to tears. Yes, Al betrayed me but he was my friend before all this and there's still a part of me who cares for him deeply, that way.

"It's okay." I choke. Embarrassed, my hand rushing up to muffle my cries. Al's doe eyes start to close but I swear I see a faint smile on his lips before his body falls limp in my arms.

An ugly cry escapes as I feel arms closing around my waist pulling me away from him. I beg, scream and pull against them.

"No, he can't be..." I cry, the whole situation hitting me like a brick to the face.

"Tris, we need to get out of here." Tobias' weak voice whispers and I immediately cry into his chest. "Seriously Tris, that gunshot will've been heard by people, we need to get out."

I sober up quickly when I register his words. We've come too far to give up now. Al didn't sacrifice his life for us to just get captured again.

Uriah bends down and grabs a knife that was hidden in Al's pocket and gives it to me. Then he fishes out a smaller gun he must've stolen from the guard and hands it to Tobias' leaving the larger one for himself.

"Ready?" Tobias ask, concern and determination filling his bruised eyes. I nod, not trusting my voice as he grabs my hand and we start running.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My chest heaves with exhaustion as I push myself to carry on running, the heat of the moment and adrenaline masking the pain and fatigue.

As our surroundings reveal, I'm shocked to realise that I've been here before. This was where I ran to when Will saved me- from Eric. Little did I know how dangerous Eric really was when I first encountered him.

"Hey, I know where we are." I grab Tobias' arm and stop him running around, thus making Uriah turn confused, as to why we've stopped. "It's this way." I start to run, retracing my steps to get to the castle.

"The forbidden quarters." Tobias mutters as we reach the real parts of Dauntless and he realises where Jeanine was keeping us.

Tobias, obviously knowing Dauntless better than us, takes the lead but immediately worries me when I see his limping body, stumbling every so often.

"Tobias...Are you alright?" I ask, placing a hand on his shoulder as we carry on moving.

"Fine." He grumbles, harshly shoving my hand off. I'm slightly hurt but I know that he doesn't mean it. He's in a horrible state.

When we reach the castle, guards walk up to us immediately one of their hands gripping the gun in his pocket, the other clasping a sword. They look angry and are making their way to Tobias.

"Stop." They all pause and I feel a surge of glee when they actually listen to me. "He's not the real criminal, we just escaped from them."

"Pardon me, your majesty but...I don't quite understand." A guard says, his arm raised, stopping the others from amounting.

"We'll explain everything but first, go fetch Caleb, Mother and Father. They need to know this too." They nod and two of them march to find them. "Oh, and find a nurse or doctor too please!" I shout after, remembering Tobias' injuries.