- V -

"Damn!" Teddy and I yelled

I grabbed all of the money from Gordie's hand, frustrated with the boys.

I thought about weaseling my way out of this, since I didn't want to go. But I remembered that Quidaciolo's carries my favorite magazine. I could get a quick preview at all the swell guys while I'm there!

Everybody was laughing at our frustration as we walked away. Teddy and I didnt say much to each other along the way but a mere: "So... what's been going on with you?"

After what seemed like forever in the hot sun, we finally arrived at Quidaciolo's. I felt a wave of cool air flow over me as I opened the door, the little bell ringing happily.

"Okay." I whispered. "So, we've got three dollars, five people, and basically two days."

"Yup." Teddy replied, and walked ahead to the deli while I found some Twinkies for a nickel a piece.

I sauntered over to teddy with my hands grasping Twinkies, while Teddy wasn't sure which kind of meat to buy with what little money we had.

"Whichever one is the cheapest." I stated, and Teddy suggested a fifty cent pound of hamburger meat to Mister Quadi, who wrote it down on a piece of paper and went back behind his curtain again.

I was looking for the sodas when... ooooh magazines! And that one has JAMES DEAN ON IT-

I walked towards them and picked up the James Dean one. I quickly began to turn to page 39, the one all about James and his type of girl and a dream date before he passed. I stood reading for a good few minutes, before the smarter half of my brain reminded me where I was and what I was doing.

No! Cokes, stupid.

I blew a kiss to the magazine before I left and grabbed four ice cold Cokes and set them down on the counter. They banged together loudly while Teddy was in the back pondering something else to buy. Slowly, I came back to earth from my dreamy thoughts.

"What Teddy?" I said, looking at him.

"Do you think I could sneak this?" Teddy said, holding up a Hershey bar in his hand.

A big lead ball sank in my stomach as I thought about my response. We were low on money, and he could probably take it, easy. Mister Quadi was in the back doing something at the time. But I can't believe that someone would even think of stealing, it's just so... wrong! Right? Even if we really need it this time?

...Yes!

"Teddy..." I whined, "No, don't do that-"