- I -

I stood stiffly on the ladder connecting to the treehouse floor, then crossed my arms

I stood stiffly on the ladder connecting to the treehouse floor, then crossed my arms. "You both are such assholes... Let me in!"

I heard Teddy yell from behind the trapdoor. "You did the secret knock?"

"Yes! For God's sake, I have light pressure but big hands!" I rolled my eyes, giving a death stare at Teddy's cocky face through the screen. "Come on!'

The door finally lifted up to reveal the rest of the treehouse. The place where my friends and I spent most all of our time in. "Thank you!"

I spited them with a sigh and sat on a stool next to the card table. "Teddy, do you ever listen to me?"

"Nope." Teddy laughed like a hyena, then tapped his left ear. "This one doesn't do much."

Teddy Duchamp was one of my more distant friends at the time. He was crazy, daring, and absolutely annoying. His dad stormed Normandy, but went insane after the war ended. One time he held Teddy's ear to a stove and pretty much burned it off. That was why he had his long blonde hair covering it up all the time, to cover his burned ear that looked just like melted wax.

I shot him a glare and he continued to laugh, pulling out a chair as he did so. My best guy friend, Chris, did the same on the other side while he began to deal cards.

He dealt out the regular seven while a bunch of smoke rolled out of the corner of his mouth from his cigarette. All the boys were smokers except for myself- I hated the taste and the effects I knew it had. Just the smell of it made me miss my gal friends from school. We'd have to get together as soon as I possibly could.

Chris laughed as he sat back in his chair, looking at his numbers with confidence- or bluff. Teddy made a face as he did the same, but I kept a straight face as we all started picking cards.

Thirty one was the game we played all the time. It was the most boring, most redundant game of all time, but we still played it. None of us knew how to play poker or bridge except for Chris, but he wouldn't dare teach us how unless we bet the proper amount of money. Teddy was always the craziest to bet full dollars and quarters, while the rest of us just bet pennies or nothing at all. Teddy had always been over the top, and we knew it.

Chris knocked three times on the table. "Draw your final cards, guy and gal..."

"Twenty nine." He said with confidence.

Teddy slammed his cards down on the table. "Twenty two! Did'ya deal the cards wrong?"

"No, cause I got thirty one!" I set my cards down in front of them and yelled in victory. "Suckers!"

Both of them rolled their eyes and cussed as they rounded up the cards and continued to shuffle and deal them.

We played a few more games before I got tired of playing, it does get old after a while.