Chapter 3

"Grandma come on! Blow the candles." Melanie tried cheering. Her wavy brown hair bouncing as her mother tried to contain her daughter from practically spilling everything on the table. Melanie was always hyper and she never disappoints me with her antics but this was the first time I wanted to take things slowly. 

"Hush, Milly, Grandma is concentrating." I closed my eyes and tried to block out everything from the outside world but before that happened I heard her whisper to her mom. 

"Concentrating on doing what exactly?" I imagined Lisa shaking her head and Milly trying to ask another question. I shushed her before she did and went back to what I was doing.

I was never the one to believe in such things like this since to me they were so superficial. Maybe when I was little I would have loved the idea of wishes coming true but learning the harsh way of life at such a young age took away the ignorance that kept that something in me that all the little kids have. The thing that should have kept me dreaming ... wishing ... believing. 

In all honesty, wishing was making me nervous. Yes I did far more nerve-wrecking things in  my early days but all those I could manage. Wishing, not so much. 

How do people do this? I mean how can they wish on things when there was no gurantee of it ever happening? I could never fully grasp this idea. 

I opened my eyes a little and Milly and Lisa were patiently waiting for me. They all were looking expectantly yet ever so kindly at me. This family is all a retired star could want. 

I wish to go back. To become a 17 year old again. 

I opened my eyes and immediately blew the candles out. The two clapped their hands and began putting food onto their plates whilst I just sat there wondering. 

Do wishes really come true?

When Milly and Lisa almost finished eating, I decided to go out and get some fresh air. Can wishing really make you weak or is this old age catching up on me? 

The night breeze left a soothing feeling on my wrinkled skin. Never have I felt this weak yet so relaxed in my whole life. I never did something so un-scientific in my life as well so might as well get used to change.

As I looked up the night sky,  a bright light was falling from somewhere. I instinctively held both my hands close and repeated my wish. 

--11 years ago--

"Look Grandma! A shooting star!" 

A shining light passed us by and my little Milly closed her eyes, as if to make a wish. 

"Why are you not wishing Grandma?" She innocently asked me. 

I gave her a weak smile and crouched down to her level. Her short bob cut was such a delight feel on my fingers that I gave her a light brush. 

"Grandma doesn't wish on them because Grandma makes them happen. Grandma relies solely on herself to make them come true." 

Her face was still filled with curiosity and when she spoke the next words really made me pause for a while. 

"But isn't relying on yourself only sad Grandma?" 

Milly's words as a 6 year old really stuck to me. I knew that all my life I never really relied on anybody but having that realization through your granddaughter only makes it more depressing. 

--

Ending it here. sorry but I want to write the other chapter into something long XD 

anyways here~