Chapter 1 - Sirens

Sirens.

That's what she heard.

Sirens.

The sound was coming closer.

"Help!" That's what Jennifer Morrison tried to yell. But there wasn't any sound coming out of her throat. She tried again and again. But still. Nothing happened.

She had given up hope, when suddenly she saw flashlights.

'They're here.' That's what she thought. 'I'll live. I'll live. I'll li-' and then everything went black again.

For Colin, he still could see everything. Well, it was a little blurry but still. He saw paramedics coming to them. Jen being carried away first. Then him. They checked if he still lived.

He did, but his life was in danger. He was barely breathing. His heart slower than usual.

They took both of them to the hospital. Jen still unconscious. Colin now unconscious too.

They took them to surgery immediately. Doing the best they could to stabilize them.

But it wasn't because they were stable, they would live. It could take months before they got out of the hospital if they stayed like they were now. Or they could die.

What was sure, is that if they didn't get any surgery now, they surely wouldn't make it.

After hours of surgery, Colin was the first one to be stable

In Jen's case, it was a little more difficult since she was pregnant. Well, for now she was at least. They didn't know if the child would make it. Or the children at least.

Yes, Jennifer Morrison was expecting twins. But she didn't know that yet. And neither did Colin.

When Jen finally was stabilized, Colin was waking up in his room.

He slowly opened his eyes. It took him a moment or two to adjust to the light. He slowly and carefully tried to sit up, but obviously failed. He had a broken foot, a broken leg, a few broken ribs, a broken arm, skin was gone on a few places on his body like his arm and he had hit his head pretty bad.

A doctor came in.

"Mr. O'Donoghue, I see you're awake."

"Where's Jen?" That was what he first asked. That was the only thing he was interested in right now. He didn't care about his own health.

"She just got out of surgery sir, but I'm afrai-"

"Did she lose the baby?"

"Oh, so you didn't know yet?"

"Know what?"

"Congratulations, you and your wife are expecting twins."

"Sh- she's gonna make it? And we're expecting t- twins?"

"It appears so, sir."

That moment, the door opened. Doctors wheeled in another bed with another person. Colin took a look and saw that it was Jen. Tears gathered in his eyes.

Jen was in a way worse condition than him. She had had some internal bleedings and they weren't able to stop them immediately. And so many more injuries that it was too much to say out loud.

Colin actually was surprised that they were able to save their chil- children in her condition. but he was grateful.

"Can you put her bed next to mine please?"