Chapter Two- Photo of Cordelia

Cordially Cordelia

Chapter Two

~~

Gideon tried to understand everything Max said, but something's he said to fast or mumbled them as every child did. So far he had learned that the boy was originally in Pennsylvania until the orphanage decided to transfer him and about ten other children to an orphanage in New York.

"I ain't goin' on another train am I?" Max asked him as he climbed into the saddle.

"Not for a while no." he told him honestly "We will on occasion to see my aunt and uncle and sister and cousins and nephews."

Max seemed content with that answer as he went off talking about other things.

"I have a Ma" Max informed him "She's real Purdy too."

Gideon knew some of the children's parents gave them up when they could no longer care for them, some even left for no reason and others had parents who died of a sickness or an accident. He didn't know if Max's mother was still alive and if she was why she'd give up her child but all he could do now was focus on providing a good home for Max.

And as soon as they got home he panned on getting him new clothes and some toys, he wasn't old enough to work on the ranch like he and Isaac did. He was just a boy and he needed to stay a child as long as possible.

"She was teachin' me ta shoot when my Uncle Howie took me away" Max continued. Gideon wondered what type of woman taught her son to shoot. All of his sisters and his mother hated guns.

"What happened to your Uncle?" Gideon asked curiosity getting the best of him.

"He got shot!" Max said with wide brown eyes "It scared me somethin' fierce! I ran away an' some o' man thunk I was an orphan. I never did find my Uncle or my Ma again."

Gideon wondered how Max had such a thick southern accent. But in time he was sure he'd hear a story about it. Max talked all the way home, he was used to it though his younger siblings a side from Isaac had all been the same way, not to mention his three older sisters. Jennie talked the most out of all of them but Annie and Laura tied for second.

Isaac whistled the same three notes of a made up tune over and over again, just as he always did. One got used to it after a while but he was surprised Lorraine hadn't put a stop to that as well. She wouldn't be so bad if she didn't try to change every single thing about his baby brother, and if she wasn't so whiney and needy. He worried that if Isaac never saw her for what she really was and they got married, she'd spend every last penny they had spent so long earning.

Their ranch- which raised cows and horses had finally started to bring in money- And Lorraine had started to demand that she was bought presents. He had no idea why Isaac stayed with her.

They didn't get back to their ranch until after dark. Max had fallen asleep so Gideon carried him inside to the spare bedroom next to his. He would work on making it more of a child's bedroom instead of a guest room tomorrow, but for tonight it would have to do. He tucked him into bed and left the room quietly.

He lit the lanterns in the completely dark house and took off his boots. He was thankful Isaac had offered to take care of the horses for him. And he knew all the chores had been taken care of thanks to their hired hands- Benji, Kane, Obie and Smokey.

Isaac walked in just as he sat down with left over pie their Ma had made for them.

"So you're a father" He said taking a seat. Gideon looked at his little brother just waiting for him to say something cynical. "What are you going to tell people?"