Chapter 1

I sighed in boredom as I was in the middle of my history lesson, my palm holding my cheek and my fingers moving through my hair. I glanced to the left of me without moving my head and saw Robbie Fink passed out. His head on his desk and mouth slightly opened where a pool of drool had formed. The class and I are currently listening about what the Germans were up to right now in the year 1942. Something about Adolf Hitler planning on taking over the world, and how do we know that? We know because of his new book that came out, Mein Kampf, in English, My Struggle, written by the devil himself. Although the situation was very serious, I could care less for it to be taught within school. Our teacher, Mr. Kensek was quite obsessed with the situation, babbling on about how life changing this is and how an experience like this would soon become a part in the history books decades later. His deep yet bland voice didn't help my bored state. I could feel my lids start to betray me as I was slipping in and out of consciousness. My mind traipsing somewhere else not in this room.

     As Mr. Kensek was talking about the plans in Germany, our principle named Mrs. Norberry opened the door unannounced and walked up to Mr. Kensek. At this action every student's eyes widened in curiosity, including mine. Like myself, most of the kids here were bored out of their mind, and I bet most of them hoped that they were the cause of Norberry's visit. The two adults discussed a few hushed words as Mr. Kensek nodded and Mrs. Norberry turned towards us.

     "Ms. Kane, I've come to inform you that you will have an early dismissal when this class has ended, and by looking at the time I suggest you should start getting ready." She grimaced while walking out, leaving the door open. Mrs. Norberry was known to be posh and her job was full of strict rules she's placed on us students. She absolutely hated when kids had to leave early for it "lessened our chances of being the best students we could be." A waste of our parents' money if we weren't here for the correct amount of time she believes.

     I glanced at the clock as her heels clicked down the hall into a fade, five to eleven; that means we only had five minutes left. With a little jump of energy, I collected my things and left the class.

     "Close the door behind you, now continuing on..." Mr. Kensek muttered as I walked past him to then continue his babble.

     I did as such, going no further than across the hall to my locker which was quite relevant. History has always been a favorite of mine and I loved learning as much as possible on it. Although since the war started, my excitement has dwindled as the present was all our teachers would ever talk about.

     Placing the needed criteria into my leather satchel, I walked to the front of the school and out the door. I saw my mother waiting in the lot, so I cautiously started to walk over to her. I kept glancing up at the sky, looking for any planes, none. A few days ago, a part of the UK had been bombed by the Germans, so we were told to keep extra careful and to be safe.

     I made it to the car and got in, placing my satchel by my feet and pulling the belt over my mid-section. Mum quickly pulled out of the lot, and we began our journey home. The reason why I have early dismissal - I presume - is because I'm leaving, leaving my family behind, leaving my village behind. Why? Because of the war, it wasn't safe and all the children have to leave for their safety, while their fathers are sent to war, and their mothers to work, making things for the army.

     Most of the children are going off to other family members like my sister, she's going with her Aunt, the reason I'm not going with her is because her Aunt hates me and doesn't want anything to do with me. That's because I'm not part of "her family". I was adopted into the family. I had no file about who I was or who my parents could be. The orphanage told my step parents I was found on the side of the road across from a cafe, and that an anonymous dropped me off at the orphanage.

But enough about that...

     We arrived home in a comfortable silence. I left the car and walked up to the already unlocked door. I crossed the front room and up the stairs, turning left and into my room. I started collecting the things I will need for when I depart like clothes, cleaning supplies (toothbrush, deodorant, etc.) my jewelry, and some of my favorite books. I then grabbed one suitcase from under my bed and put everything in there. I finished packing about an hour and a half later, then I washed up for lunch and joined my mother back downstairs and towards the back of the house where the kitchen was. Sitting down as mum placed a plate of salad in front of me I smiled up to her in thanks and started to eat.

     "Oh, darling. I'm sorry it has to be this way." My mother sighed as she stared at me lovingly, yet also with full focus as if she was trying to remember every bit of me. I finished chewing my greens and swallowed before replying.

     "It's alright mum. I understand and respect Aunt Joan's... feelings." I said, yet I still smiled at my mother who looked guilty. I placed a hand on hers that was laying in the table and gave it a small squeeze.

     "Really mum, look on the brighter side. This could be a whole new stepping stone for me, a new adventure." With that, I retrieved my hand and grabbed my glass of water and taking a drink before finishing my salad and we were off to the station.

AN: hello and welcome! Thanks so much for the read and yes this is a short beginning but it leads to a great adventure that I hope you'll grow to enjoy!
~Willow Rosewood