Chapter Seven

His cool hands suddenly take the lamp from my almost numb fingers, then he scoops me up, placing me on the mattress, the only item not broken in the room. He gently removes my hand from my neck, with the pressure gone I feel the blood run quicker, Byron leans down, I freeze, feeling the cool flick of his tongue against my neck causes a shiver to run through my body. My nerves come alive as his body crowds mine.

"Byron ... I ..." his hand presses over my lips as he leans away from me, kneeling despite my protest which is completely muffled by his hand. He suddenly looks round the room as if seeing it for the first time.

"I did this?" When he doesnt remove his hand I just nod as a reply, he startles me by dropping his head into my lap, showing a vulnerability that I havent ever seen before, even with a human. Slowly, unsurely I gently run my hand through his hair, feeling something akin to sympathy, the strands catch on the glass shards in my palms, quickly pulling it back I start pulling out the few pieces still embedded in my skin in both of my hands. I freeze as Byron suddenly captures my legs, pulling my feet up onto his lap as he sits on the floor, his cool fingers make quick work of the slight pieces of glass in my feet, his gaze concentrated on my skin, almost refusing to look at me. Ashamed? Embarrassed? I dont know.

"Byron? Has this sort of thing happened often?" He glances up but as soon as my eyes connect he drops his gaze again, massaging my aching feet. I realise that getting him to open up is going to be harder than I thought. Shifting my shoulders to relieve the pain in my back I notice the stiffness in my tshirt from my drying blood. Reaching down I gently grasp one of Byron's hands, pulling him up as I stand, his gaze held by mine. On instinct I know I have to get him out of this room, the only way I will ever get him to talk is out of this room.

"Come with me Byron." I start leading him out of the room, he willingly follows, im not sure what shocks me more. The rightness I feel while holding his hand or the shock that he isnt stopping me. Leaving the room I hear him slam the door behind him, making me jump, catching myself I walk through the corridors to the guest room that Violet and I kitted out for me. I just hope Byron doesnt lose his cool when he sees what we have done, without his permission. Slipping through the door, pulling Byron behind me I release his hand as I close the door quietly, flicking on the dim lights, the glow spreads through the room. Byron stops in the middle of the room frowning, I brace myself for another fight but instead a small smile curves on his lips as his hand brushes over the silk robe lain over the back of the dresser chair. Releasing my breath I walk to the bathroom, turning the shower on, walking back to the counter I light 3 candles, the scent of passion fruit and sandalwood teases my senses, turning around I gasp, my hand flying to my throat as Byron is suddenly infront of me.

"So this is what Violet was buying."

"Yes ... I hope it wasnt out of line. It wasnt her fault ..."

"I like it." I still at his words, really liking his sensitive side but still wary of how quickly his moods shift so I dont let my guard down. Holding his gaze becomes impossible so I drop my eyes, noticing the blood on his knuckles, for some reason the fact that he must be injured bothers me more than it should. Swiftly bringing his hands up to eye level I notice the deep cuts that seem to be healing as I watch. I feel Byron's confused gaze on my face, the feeling is mutual.

"Im going to shower. Please leave." His hand reaches up, cupping my cheek, forcing my gaze to reluctantly connect with his.

"You amaze me Lara." His head leans down, his cool lips press softly to my forehead, surprising me, he disappears from infront of me, the bathroom door shuts and I am left to my own confusing thoughts again.