Chapter Twelve: Zechna

Start from the beginning

My whole head turned to look at Eli. He raised an eyebrow up swiftly and asked, "Victor, with all due respect," Eli said calling him by his first name since he wasn't apart of the group technically so calling him boss would be inappropriate and calling him father would be a sign of disrespect. Since they weren't strangers either it was fine to just call him by his first name. "If I had known there were potential killers at my school, I would go to you first with the information."

"Bull shit." I called out bluntly. "You never felt any loyalty to us. Our death would be perfect for you to take up responsibility as the next head of Delacroix. You wouldn't come to us. You would hold the information to yourself-"

"Brother," Eli said slyly, "I realize you hold a grudge against me for leaving the group but I believe that now is not the time to have a therapy session."

"That's hardly the reason why I hold a grudge against you. Maybe it's all the attempts at my-" I stopped my self quickly. I almost made an accusation of Eli's attempts at my life. My father was staring at me harshly as if he knew what I was going to say. Eli held a smile on his face as if he was just waiting for me to point fingers. I bit my lip so that it wouldn't backfire.

"Attempts of your what, Nico?" Eli said with a small chuckle, "Cat got your tongue?"

"Stop talking. Both of you." Father said. He turned his cold, almost lifeless, eyes towards Eli and shook his head, "I didn't mean it like that, Elisha. However, now that you do know, I would like you to do some investigating as soon as you get back to the campus. Of course, I trust you'll keep a safe distance?"

"I would like to keep a friendly air between us as soon to be business partners and family members. I wouldn't want to upset mother."

"Boss, is that really a good idea? Eli can't be trusted... Sir." I added, "He's a wolf disguised as a human. Sir, I could do it. I look older than my age. I could infiltrate the campus and-"

"Don't be stupid, Nico. You're the main focus here as the next head of the family. If you go to the university campus then you're practically holding a big flashy sign that reads, 'Delacroix Successor', you'd be walking right into the lion's den." Father said and coughed multiple times into his elbow. I winced as his rough coughs echoed through the room.

I knew that he was getting worse and worse. Our doctors still couldn't find what was wrong with him. He didn't have any sign of a known illness in him. No matter how many tests they did on him, they always came back negative. He looked so frail compared to how he did when my mother was still alive. Around the same time that she died was when he started to fall ill. I had a feelings it wasn't a coincidence but I had no proof or any leads to go off of. The only thing I could do was watch my father die slowly before my eyes. I looked away from his appearance and instead focused on the floor.

"I would be honored to help." Eli clarified.

Father nodded and said weakly, "Send the nurse. You two are dismissed."

We both stood up and bowed at our dismissal. I was already on my way to the door when I heard Eli's phone beep and then he spoke, "Victor, I'll be leaving for a couple hours. There's actually something I've been wanting to check out."

I turned around with my eyes narrowed. Father looked up and asked, "How important is it?"

"It's something that has caught my interest dearly."

"Very well. Take Nico and those other two." Father said referring to Sera and Max.

"Thank you." Eli said and bowed one more time as he past by me. As our eyes met, Eli grinned and it sent a chill down my spine.