Chapter Twenty-Two: Date with Reality

Chapter Twenty-two: Joy

I couldn't believe it. I didn't want to believe it. But of course, how could I ignore the evidence when it was right there for me to see?

I didn't know how far I had run. Being half vampire meant I was a little faster than most, so speeding through New York to try and run away from my problems could mean I would be in Massachusetts by Day break.

I felt my phone buzz several times in my pocket, and part of me begged and pleaded to answer it. Perhaps it was Danny, calling to explain why my thing with Sam was different then his thing with Misty Knight. Perhaps he was calling to apologize, say he was sorry and that it was all some misunderstanding.

On the other hand, it could be Sam. Calling to say that he was sorry for messing with Danny and I by bringing Misty Knight to meet me. Maybe he wanted to be friends again.

This, of course was wishful thinking only. So I didn't check my phone. I just kept running, pushing past everyone on the busy streets of New York.

That was, until, I tripped.

Later in the day, I wondered if he tripped me purposely, if he had sensed my arrival and wanted to slow me down, or try and help in some way. For now, however, I just hit the pavement, people walking around me and not bothering to help.

"Matt, you just tripped someone!!"

"Oh, did I? I'm so sorry about that..." His friend, who was not blind, managed to help me off the ground, while the blind one simply stood there, apologizing as many times as he could.

"It's alright...guess I should pay more attention." One was chubby, blonde, with blue eyes that went with the smile on his face. The other, was a redhead, lean, wearing red glasses that went with the walking stick in his hands.

"Hey...I think I know you. You're Joy Osborn aren't you?" I nodded, brushing myself off. The blonde one grinned, turning to his redheaded friend.

"Matt she nodded!! It's Joy Osborn!!" He, as in Matt, chuckled.

"As long as I'm not tripping anyone important." He joked. I forced a smile, trying not to cry, or run off never to be seen again.

"Very funny. Hey, um, Ms Osborn, like Matty here said, sorry about tripping you. I'm Franklin by the way. Franklin Nelson. This here is Mathew Murdock."

"Call me Matt." I frowned. Something about that name.....eh, it was probably nothing.

"It's nice to meet you Franklin, and you too Math...I mean Matt. And, uh, please, call me Joy."

"So what brings you to Hells Kitchen Joy? Aren't you normally in Manhattan? Are you here with someone?" Oddly specific questions Mister Murdock.

"Um, I'm just here to explore. Figured it was a little safer then Halarm, so you know....and uh, no, I'm not here with anyone." Something about him seemed so familar. Maybe it was the pompish adittude?

"Oh, then come with us!! We'd be happy to give you a tour!" Franklin beamed happily, and I could tell he genuinely wanted to give me a tour. No secret intention, just wanting to show off what he considered to be his city.

"Foggy, did you forget that we are supposed to be meeting Jen Walter today? For the study session?" His smile quickly faded, realization hitting him.

"Oh. Right." Matt chuckled.

"How about this; I know the city as well as you do, and I know you were more excited about studying with Jen then I was. So why don't I take Joy on the tour and you can go study." Franklin or I guess Foggy thought about it for a moment before nodding.