Chapter 10

K A T E

I was getting ready for bed when there was a slight tapping on my window. Rosie came up from beside me, having just got back from the ball. She walked up to the window and opened it, snow came blowing in and Barney landed on a shelf with a letter in her talons. I grabbed the letter and then quickly shut the window before it grew to cold. I opened the folded piece of parchment and read it.

A little bird told me that you haven't solved the clue

A little bird told me that you haven't solved the clue. So, I've decided to help you out. A siren's song is hard to hear above water. Have fun with the second task and don't tell anyone about this hint. I'll be seeing you soon.

-L.V 

"What is it?" Rosie asked as she came closer to me. I frantically folded up the note and put it in the pocket of my night gown. I trusted Rosie, I really did. But I couldn't have her knowing about the hint I had just gotten. And who was L.V?

"Just- It was a note from Snape asking if I had figured out the egg yet." I made up an excuse. Rosie seemed to buy it as she nodded her head.

"Alright, any clue on how to solve it?"

I thought back to what the note had said. Then I got an idea. "I was thinking that maybe I could hear it underwater, where sound is muddled up. That way the screeching won't be as bad."

"That's actually a good idea. We should try it out tomorrow in the prefects bathroom." She replied and got under her bed covers. "It's a good thing I'm the Slytherin prefect or you'd be screwed."

"Yeah I suppose. Or I could just try it in the lake."

◙ ◙ ◙

After breakfast, Rosie and I hurried to the prefects bathroom and locked the door. We stripped down to our bathing suits that we had underneath our robes and filled the bath up with water. Once it was filled, we stepped in and I was about to place the egg in when we heard a voice.

"What are you doing?" A girl's voice said from by the toilets.

"Myrtle, you scared the magic out of us!" Rosie exclaimed, splashing the water with her arms.

"I'm not sorry. I like scaring people." She said as she floated closer and dived into the bath, even though it made no noise because she was a ghost. "So what are you doing?"

"Trying to figure out this egg. So if you would be so kind as to be quiet whilst we go under, it would be much appreciated." I explained and grabbed the egg from the side of the bath.

"Oh alright. I'll leave you alone."

"Thank you."