Prologue ✔

Edited: 10/05/17

It was a cold winter's night when there was a hard knock at Severus Snape's door. At that moment in time he was marking student's magic work and he was fully prepared to shout at the unfortunate being on the other side of the door.

When he got up and made his way over to the door, his cape glided behind him, giving a sense of power. Snape grasped a hold of the handle, yanked it open and opened his mouth ready to scold the source of the knock, only there was no-one there. He looked around, when his sights fell upon a baby by his feet in a small basket.

At first his face held a look of confusion as he gazed at her, but as soon as his eyes locked with the baby's, he found himself smiling. A real, genuine smile. She had the most beautiful eyes he'd ever seen. They were such a brilliant shade of brown, with a slight colour of gold. Just from her eyes, he could tell she wasn't a muggle. Her eyes held such power and beauty and Snape knew she was special.

He snapped out of his thoughts when she started crying. Whilst bending down to pick her up, he spotted a letter cramped in-between the baby and the basket. Snape brought her inside with her still crying and opened the letter. It was addressed to him, but there was no name of the person who wrote it. 

Dear, Severus Snape

I trust in you to look after my sweet little Kate, for I am no longer able. I cannot tell you the reason I am asking for you to do this, but you are the only one I can trust. You may tell Albus and Hagrid about her if you wish, but no-one can know about her existence until she is older. There is a darkness coming. Not now, but in the near future. I have foreseen it and it will be worse than you can ever imagine. 

As she grows, you may notice some strange things about her. You must be careful that no-one but you and Dumbledore know of these things. If anyone were to know about the special things she could do, it would put her in great danger. 

When she comes to the age of seventeen, give her the other letter I have placed under her pillow.

Take care of my sweet Katheryn and teach her all that you can.

Snape looked up from the letter and across to the now silent girl, asleep in her basket. He folded the letter and placed it in his robe's pocket. Walking over to the little girl, he lifted up her head slowly and slid the other letter out. He then stroked the baby's head softly and whispered three words.

"Goodnight, little Katheryn."